Entry level Jigging rod for Kingfish - Which one?

nbh00d

As per title I am looking to get into mechanical jigging for Kingies and wondering which rod would be suitable for my purpose? I would be jigging around areas such as Long reef, the colours, the artificial reef, etc where I suppose light jigs around 80g - 200g would be suitable? Can I use my Stradic FJ 8000 spooled with 30lb Powerpro braid? I would like to keep it as affordable as possible so that if I do enjoy the sport I will definitely upgrade to something better and heavier for those brutal Kings. But for now I'm just thinking to get a decent jigging rod and a few knife jigs to test it out.

I saw the Okuma Salin jig rod in the 15kg model and wondering is it any good? What other rods in similar price range would you recommend for a beginner?
http://www.chsmith.com.au/Products/Okuma-Salina-II-Jig-Rod.html
okuma_salina_ii_heavy_spin_fishing_rod_7

The Okuma Salina Jig Rod is tops on kings. Highly recommended by a lot of people and i'm about to order one with a Salina 3 10000 on it. You could get away with the stradic 8000 but not 30lb braid. 50 would be minimum with 65-80lb ideal. A 10000 reel matched with 80lb braid on that rod would be my pick for sure. The Shimano Terez are also worth a look.

Cheers, Tom

First time i ever caught kings on jigs. was bottom bashing and decided there were kings down there. With 2 knife jigs in the tackile box bottom bashing gear spooled only with 30 lb braid i bagged out on kingies from when i dropped the first jig. over 3 hrs max. started letting anything under 75 cm go as i knew there was bigger ones there and was goin to bag out. Biggest went 1m. best fishing session ive had i think. on kings anyway. Seriously had only the bare basics.

Now i have all the jigging gear, well over 20 jigs, jig rod, saragossa 18000, 65 lb braid. and guess what have not had a session as full on as that since.

I have a stradic 8000. you could definitly land a decent king on that with a half decent bottom bashing rod espeicially shallow reefs like the colours. Dont get me wrong you could hook a 75- 80 cm king and do it easy but you could hook a 10- 15kg king and get smoked. But you will always get smoked on the big gear to at sometime.

I always say and do, get out and give it a go with the gear you have got. then if you cant stop them, then upgrade.

Thats my opinion anyway.

Dave

Im with mulloway man the salina jiging rods are great ive had the salina 3 15kg rod for nearly a year now matched with the salina 3 real which i have just put on it. I had the v-system reel on it before with no problems.Only changed the reel because i got the salina 3 for xmas. its a great rod and caught me some great kings think you would like it cheers.

Im with mulloway man the salina jiging rods are great ive had the salina 3 15kg rod for nearly a year now matched with the salina 3 real which i have just put on it. I had the v-system reel on it before with no problems.Only changed the reel because i got the salina 3 for xmas. its a great rod and caught me some great kings think you would like it cheers.

Thanks guy for the response. Just wondering what size of Salina 3 did you put onto your 15kg rod? 16000?

Personally I would go a shimano tcurve over a selina.

I found out the hard way u can't. Use anything but the best for jigging I took my 18000 saragosa and my 18000 Stella out to 12 mile and with in 2 hours my saragosa had screws coming loose. I will say I was going flat out and didn't take a break but I won't bother taking it next time.