Dollie virgin --> after some tips and techniques

okt824

hi,

Just wondering whats the best way to get onto some dollies.

Planning on heading out to some of the FADs

Got a 5m half cabin (no out riggers) so can only run 3 squirted lures, one in close one medium and a shotgun. how far out the back should i be setting these??

The squirted lures i have have various head sizes and colours, any tips on what i should be running and where would be amazing. the heads are a large pusher, small pusher, a jet, a bullet and a slant head. coulors include, reds, pinks, greens, purples

also have jigs and soft plastics.

Thanks in Advance

Mate I'm no expert at all, but I have got a decent dollie on a skirt lure near botany fad. Deep diver about 6m, it was gold in color with trebles which was about 40m at the back of boat. I also know that if you find anything drifting out there do a couple of laps around it, dollies like floating objects!

Hope that helps a little.

Cheers scratchie!!!

hi,

Just wondering whats the best way to get onto some dollies.

Planning on heading out to some of the FADs

Got a 5m half cabin (no out riggers) so can only run 3 squirted lures, one in close one medium and a shotgun. how far out the back should i be setting these??

The squirted lures i have have various head sizes and colours, any tips on what i should be running and where would be amazing. the heads are a large pusher, small pusher, a jet, a bullet and a slant head. coulors include, reds, pinks, greens, purples

also have jigs and soft plastics.

Thanks in Advance

Hi mate, When chasing Dollies we try and grab a few Livies on the way out ,it can usually entice the bigger Dollies from the school.

Upon arrival at the FAD we troll a mix of Lures usually a small Lumo skirt , a Rapala or similar diving lure and a larger skirt incase something bigger decides to play.

After trolling we usually set up camps and drift down current from the FAD and set up a consistent burley trail without going nuts.

A big mistake is that alot of blokes basically sit right on top of the fad, we have even seen an idiot or two tie off the Bouy #*%$@# , which is a big NO NO. Then start chucking mass amounts of burley in the water. Instead of Dollies all it attracts are the smallest kingys you are ever likely to see (fish around 30cm) , and it sends the dollies down deeper.

When fishing with baits, fish as light as you can get away with and little or even no sinker if conditions suit. A general running sinker rig with about a metre trace of 20/30lb flurocarbon will be enough for your standard FAD dollies , all the way down to a set of hang hooks or a single hook whether it be a suicide or Live bait hook.

Let your baits float down naturally as possible with your burley trail as you would when your cubing for yellowfin or floating baits for snapper.

Some days Dollies will hit anything thrown at them, ranging from a bare hook to a peeled prawn. But over the last few years ive found that these days are few and far between as more and more people fish the FADS and the dollies are begining to wise up. So fish for them light and you should manage to snare a few

If you have anymore question feel free to pop me a PM

Mitch

Edited by Workmate