Auxiliary size what size u guys reckon ?

mrbroadbill

Hi raiders looking to add an auxiliary on my boat I own a savage lancer 565 aluminium hull , just seeing if its worth getting a back up just in case my yammie 4 stroke gives me grief on the deep blue . What a 9.9 get me moving? Was looking at at a 15 or 25hp but they are a bit pricey in the 4 stroke range . Don't want to bother with 2 bangers as carrying pre mixed fuel or spare tank is a pain. Also how often will get is used that's the other question ? Just want to get ur opinion on what u fellow raiders think . I think the 9.9 would move the boat and atleast I would be in control rather then being at the mercy of the sea any thoughts would be good cheers guys

Gday Mate
I have 15hp aux (2 stroke Merc fitted with a high thrust prop) on a fibreglass Alison 189. It pushes to about 6 knots max in calm weather. Doesnt have too much problem maintaining about 4 knots in most conditions, even if its a bit rough, windy or there is a bit oft tide running it still moves the boat forward OK.

allisonbrookersmallside.jpg

I used to have the same motor fitted to a 5m Cruise Craft and it was a 1 knot or so faster. When I had it on the Cruise Craft it bought me home safely after a couple of break downs. Once from Collaroy to Brooklyn and another time from the Gladsville Bridge to Wharf road. It may take a few hours but for me its good piece of mind to be able to get home under your own steam :)

A lot of people reckon they are more trouble than they are worth and get neglected until needed most. I start and rinse mine on the muffs after every trip and give it a good 30 - 45 min run a few times a year to make sure its OK and blow the cob webs out of it. It gets an full annual service every 3- 4 years and every 12 months I check the fuel filter and change the gear box oil.

Its nearly 40 kg hanging off the transom but it doesnt seem to effect performance or trim on my rig.

cheers
Rod

I'm with quintrex 101, best saving the $$ & making a generous donation to marine rescue if the situation ever occurs.

Keep in mind a very common cause of break down is by bad fuel be it old, dirty or have water in it so if you do decide on second motor then do you carry a seperate tank of fresh fuel each trip?

Used or not the second motor still should have its annual service to be reliable.

In total its a lot of $ & excess weight to be hanging off the back of your boat !

Thats my opinion & reason I chose not have one.

Brett

No doubt an auxillary will add to your safety. As to fuel just carry a portable tank and a bottle of oil (if a 2 stroke). I have a spare 25L tank on the opposite side of the boat to the auxillary and it does a good job of balancing the weight of the aux.

I have a 4.5m dehaviland which I use for inside fishing and close offshore. Last outing our mariner decided to stop for no reason that we could find right in the channel under spit bridge. It took about 30minutes of removing sparkplugs, checking fuel lines etc before it started ( never did find out why it stopped ) We fished all day inside and outside of Sydney harbour without another problem. Not to get stuck again I bought a 5hp mercury of ebay with only 3hrs use on it. I wasn't real sure about the power to push my boat but I have tried it out and it pushes her along at about 4knots which is what I wanted to get me out of the way and onto a anchor point or putt home in calm waters. As for the comments of having to service your aux every year, I don't agree! I have run 15 and 20hp aux's for years with the only service being done by me. Change plugs, change gearbox oil annually and impeller every 2 years and never had a problem. One thing I do is run the aux. for at least 1/2 hr each time out during which we just do a bit off trolling.
I have had the big motors serviced at dealers ( I don't know why ) and had problems after the service. I swore the last time ( cost me $1480 was a 100hr service and the boat broke down almost as soon as we left the ramp ) that I would not take a boat back to a dealer to be ripped off. I'm sure apart from changing plugs that they didn't do anything else except put a bug into the system. I removed the thermostats and found one of them to be corroded, obviously had not been checked at the service.
This is getting away from the post so I will stop but it really needles me. The amount of people I tell about my experience with this dealer I would say has cost him a lot more than he ripped off me.
Regards Jeff

Edited by Day's Fishin

Hi, if going wide and alone there is alot of sense having an aux engine because even though modern outboards are more reliable, the petrol today is worse then years ago and as mentioned if you have the aux running of the same fuel supply then it too will not run if you get bad fuel. A light weight, powerful carby 2-Stroke would fit the bill nicely and you can buy brand new engines for very good prices today and we have sold over 70 in the last 18 months of one brand that gets you a new engine (with warranty) at the price of second hand engines, with very few problems. A new 9.8HP Vortex offers the best bang for your buck and it light weight and best of all is great value compared to other carby new engines-that are basically the same anyways. Your Lancer would carry the extra weight of this engine fine and also this engine would push that hull very nicely to get out of trouble or home.

Cheers,

Huey.

Hi, if going wide and alone there is alot of sense having an aux engine because even though modern outboards are more reliable, the petrol today is worse then years ago and as mentioned if you have the aux running of the same fuel supply then it too will not run if you get bad fuel. A light weight, powerful carby 2-Stroke would fit the bill nicely and you can buy brand new engines for very good prices today and we have sold over 70 in the last 18 months of one brand that gets you a new engine (with warranty) at the price of second hand engines, with very few problems. A new 9.8HP Vortex offers the best bang for your buck and it light weight and best of all is great value compared to other carby new engines-that are basically the same anyways. Your Lancer would carry the extra weight of this engine fine and also this engine would push that hull very nicely to get out of trouble or home.

Cheers,

Huey.

The new clean engines are more vulnerable to bad fuel (especially water in fuel) than the low tech carby 2 strokes, on top of that they have increased complexity - so it could be argued that we have gone backwards in terms of reliability.