which reel

usguys07

Hi guys, I'm about to buy a new reel for the rocks, can anyone tell me the good and the bad for the following reels.

Okuma Salina 3 5000 and 10000, Daiwa Saltist 6500 and Shimano Saragosa 6000/8000.

As I have previously said, mainly for use off the rocks chasing jew, salmon tailor etc and some beach work thrown in. Maximum $300 spending money.

Any help would be appreciated. Tim

Hi guys, I'm about to buy a new reel for the rocks, can anyone tell me the good and the bad for the following reels.

Okuma Salina 3 5000 and 10000, Daiwa Saltist 6500 and Shimano Saragosa 6000/8000.

As I have previously said, mainly for use off the rocks chasing jew, salmon tailor etc and some beach work thrown in. Maximum $300 spending money.

Any help would be appreciated. Tim

The Salina 5000 won't fit much line on it, what line do you want to run on the reel? I only just managed to get 300yrds of 50LB powerpro on my 10000 Salina 3 that I just bought and that was without any backing.

Saragosa 6000/8000 are the same reel I believe, just the spool on the 8000 is much deeper so can take more line. Theyre usually a bit over $300 but a very solid reel and has held up to jigging out at 12 mile on the off occasion and live baiting kings at longy and in the harbour (up to 80cm).

A mate had a Saltist but hooked up to something big and the bearings got destroyed.

For the harsh environment of off the rocks I would go for a Salina due to their lifetime warranty and very high corrosion resistance (the user guide says to wipe with a damp cloth after fishing and not to hose as it pushes water into the bearings) this is why lots of people use them for kayaking, but like I said you won't get alot of line on the 5000. The 10000 and 16000 versions both come in a high speed if you want to use it for spinning which is good, look online you can get them for under $300 from R4Y & 4NNEs :)

Thanks Whiting for your reply, I should have stated that I only want to go to 30lb line. (lets give em a chance).

I do most of my fishing at South West Rocks during the year fishing under the Lighthouse and South Smokey beach. Later this year I plan to go to WA and fish Quobba Station and Steep Point. It's only then that I will spool up with 50 - 80lb so I suppose that the 10000 would be a better choice. (I can get one for around $153) just don't know if they are any good or not!

I bought mine for the Australian warranty, some overseas models aren't covered by the warranty, I got my pretty damn cheap plus add a $100 Christmas gift card I hardly paid for it at all. If your going to go over 50LB braid I would go for the 16000 series, but for $160 you could buy 2 and would last much longer than a Saragossa. You could even keep them both just in case one breaks an ull always have a reel ;)

Have you considered a stradic? Similar price range and probably better suited to spinning than the Saragossa

• 4 weeks later...

Which one did you end up getting Tim?

I'm in almost exactly the same boat (minus the gift voucher) and I checked out the Diawa Saltist, Shimano Saragosa and Stradic FJ, and the Okuma Salina II and III (high gear ratio models) on the weekend.

The Saltist looked the busines and the 4500 looked like it could hold a mile of line. The Saragosa, for some reason, I discounted quite quickly, maybe because it didn't look and feel as good as the others. The Stradic was very sweet, but you would have to go for the 8000 model as it's a small reel. And yes the 6000 and 8000 are the same, but the larger has more capacity. The Salina's looked like they were the best value for money as it was a good 35% cheaper for the II model (in runout), but the action was not as smooth as the Saltist and Stradic.

If money was no problem, I would probably go the Saltist 4500 or possibly the Stradic 8000. But it's difficult to go past the value of the Salina.

Let us know which one you chose and your impressions after a couple of uses.

Ballfer.

I'd stick with shimano.

Saltist is renoun for crapping itself (gears) yes it looks good but won't work as hard as a saragosa can

I've caught kings Jews all on my saragosa it's been dipped in the water dropped in the sand and til today it still works like it did out of the box minus cosmetics.

3 years and still going strong. All I've had to do it giv it a hose every now and again.

I don't believe the salina or saltist would be nearly as tank.

The Daiwa Saltist 6500 is more comparable to a Saragosa or Spheros 18000 in size. A fair comparison would be a Shimano 8000 to a Saltist 4500.

I like the look of the Shimano Stradic 8000 in the smaller size

And the Spheros or saragosa 18000 in the larger size reels

A worth while exercise is

To google Alan Tani and the

Reel you are interested in he has pulled apart most reels and can give you an unbiased review

Cheers