New Boat - VHF or 27mhz?

srudds100386

Hi all,

I have just picked up a 2nd hand 455 Polycraft Frontrunner. I am in the process of starting to customize it to my likings - It had a 27mhz radio installed but didn't work. I have removed the radio and am unsure weather to replace it with another 27mhz or go with a VHF?

Things to consider:

- Boat will mainly be used in Botany Bay and inshore surrounding areas, but i do plan on venturing a little further out in the future (wouldn't be very often) when the conditions are right (nothing silly though)

- As far as i am aware you need to do a course to be qualified to use a VHF radio but not to use a 27mhz?

Look forward to hearing anyone's opinions.

Cheers,

Sean

Definitely go the VHF, even for inshore fishing. I had a 27 meg and couldn't even contact marine rescue properly in Sydney Harbour. VHF is so much clearer, and the range is excellent. They're only a tiny bit more expensive too.

And yes, you have to do a radio course to use the VHF

Hi guys I have a question regarding VHF radio.

If you have not completed the course for VHF and you have a VHF in your boat and want to fish outside say Sydney harbour are you not allowed to contact Sydney marine rescue via VHF and log on because you are not qualified to use the radio?

Thanks Beaver.

I will look at doing the course myself in the near future.

So on a final note you can't be fined or get in any trouble with the law for not doing the course and using your VHF but its best practice to do the course?

Edited by thesquidking

You need the license to transmit, but you can own it or have it in the boat or listen to it without one. In an emergency you can use it as there is a license exemption for emergencies.

There is a new, easier, VHF license coming sometime this year and considering there is no enforcement for radio licenses unless someone abuses the system (swearing, channel blocking, idiocy) you could be a good, considerate user and nobody would know you were waiting for an opportunity to sit the license test.

All the Marine Rescue units run radio courses and they are in essence a 'never fail' exam. Only takes a day to do the course and exam a most bases.

Been with Marine Rescue for a couple of years now and there is still a big mix of VHF and 27 Meg being used . From what i have been told the 27 Meg will be around for quite a while yet . In saying that VHF is a lot better system to use as others have said . The course is pretty easy so should have no issues with it .

I have a 27meg radio , it works fine for both inshore & close off shore which is all I need.

Having said that , a question I have had for some time , other than a legal requirement , why do I need a licence to opperate a VHF radio.??

Their both radio's , they both do the same thing all be it that one is technically better than the other so , what is different about a VHF that I need to do a course & pay for a licence.

Geoff

Go the vhf , will transmit a lot further , another thing is brand of radios look at the Garmin or icom as there rarating is waterproof ip 67 , might be a little bit more but i will never own a G branded radio again had way to many fail , moral is if you buy cheap you get cheap .

I have a 27meg radio , it works fine for both inshore & close off shore which is all I need.

Having said that , a question I have had for some time , other than a legal requirement , why do I need a licence to opperate a VHF radio.??

Their both radio's , they both do the same thing all be it that one is technically better than the other so , what is different about a VHF that I need to do a course & pay for a licence.

Geoff

Hi Geoff, I think there's a couple of reasons. Firstly to make sure you know how to operate the unit in case of emergency (a lot of boat owners have them but wouldn't know how to use one ) and secondly and hopefully to stop the morons getting on them and using them for crap like they do on the 27 meg ones.( These type of people wouldn't go to the trouble of doing a course ) They have stuffed the 2 ways in trucks and cars with their abuse of the airways. As stated you don't need a licence to have one in your boat, even to use it in emergency but if you use it in a non emergency situation then you can get fined.

Regards Jeff

If you are unsure and can afford it.. get both mate so you can listen to the VHF untill you get a licence. You can be fined for transmitting without a licence and I have been asked if I had a licence before..I did the course, and found it great. Maybe Stewie could organise another one.. it was set up by him and we had a great day.

If you are unsure and can afford it.. get both mate so you can listen to the VHF untill you get a licence. You can be fined for transmitting without a licence and I have been asked if I had a licence before..I did the course, and found it great. Maybe Stewie could organise another one.. it was set up by him and we had a great day.

I would love to take credit for organising such a great course BUT alas I do not have the ability or skills to do that.

Sean ,

Donna is the one who does that type of stuff and is infact the brains behind our great site...I am just one of the mere mortals.

Regards Stewy

Was out in Botany Bay on Sat in my mates boat which just has a 27 meg radio, did a radio check with MR Solander and all was good, sitting in the middle of the bay we could hear people logging onto MR Port Kembla with no worries. Mate fit both for peice of mind.