Drifting off barrenjoey head 16/2/13

sootopia

Launched off Palm beach boat ramp at Iluka Rd for the 1st time with out drama!

Headed off towards the ferry wharf for yakkas and squids and was out past the heads by 730am.

Sea was almost glassy with 3 or 4 other boats around us. went out to 30m and began dropping liveys and strip baits towards the bottom. no interest in our yakkas and the squid came back demolished by leatherjackets....

Tried this without success for 3 hrs then decided to try off south palm (one of my fav land-based spots!) sitting about 40m offshore and drifting in 12m+ of water came across a school of slimies and tons of yakkas.

got our burley trail going and managed to rustle up 2 rat kings around the 55 cm mark...good fun on light spin rods.

Pretty quiet after that.

Headed home around 12 and decided to get some squid for dinner as a consolation prize....

managed 4 big ones for dinner and a few for bait next trip!

Back at the boat ramp my mate made the mistake of backing all 4 wheels off the ramp and once we got the boat hooked up to the trailer all 4 tires began to spin uselessly in the sand :wife: ....

unhooked boat....unbogged car (thankfully was easy without the boat)

the tried again...this time with front wheels on the concrete and everything went fine !

2 other guys who were launching their boat next to us removed the safety chain and their boat flew off the trailer as they backed down the ramp.....we wont be doing that anytime soon!!

Any pointers for what we could do to get some kings/snapper off the boat?

Overall a nice day out on the boat and learnt lots of new things!

Cheers,

post-16452-0-24081600-1361051401_thumb.jpg

Fish either very early or last light into the night for snapper. Drifting with baits on the bottom will get you the odd fish but if you really want to target bigger snapper then anchor up and put out a burley trail of pillie cubes and some pellet style burley down deeper.

Fish floater baits down the trail on light line 4-8kg.

Sometimes it can take a few hours of burley to get fish up into mid water feeding in your trail but stick with it as it pays off when a hot bite starts.

Most guys fish in close 10-30m during spring or staight after big seas but if you concentrate in the 30-80m and fish a tide change around dawn with about 1-2hrs of burley in the water things will start to go your way.

Moon can play tricks with snapper also but i'm not sure how all that works yet. My best fishing has been on the build up to the full moon not the two weeks after it.

Hope this might help

Cheers fisho.

Launched off Palm beach boat ramp at Iluka Rd for the 1st time with out drama!

Headed off towards the ferry wharf for yakkas and squids and was out past the heads by 730am.

Sea was almost glassy with 3 or 4 other boats around us. went out to 30m and began dropping liveys and strip baits towards the bottom. no interest in our yakkas and the squid came back demolished by leatherjackets....

Tried this without success for 3 hrs then decided to try off south palm (one of my fav land-based spots!) sitting about 40m offshore and drifting in 12m+ of water came across a school of slimies and tons of yakkas.

got our burley trail going and managed to rustle up 2 rat kings around the 55 cm mark...good fun on light spin rods.

Pretty quiet after that.

Headed home around 12 and decided to get some squid for dinner as a consolation prize....

managed 4 big ones for dinner and a few for bait next trip!

Back at the boat ramp my mate made the mistake of backing all 4 wheels off the ramp and once we got the boat hooked up to the trailer all 4 tires began to spin uselessly in the sand :wife: ....

unhooked boat....unbogged car (thankfully was easy without the boat)

the tried again...this time with front wheels on the concrete and everything went fine !

2 other guys who were launching their boat next to us removed the safety chain and their boat flew off the trailer as they backed down the ramp.....we wont be doing that anytime soon!!

Any pointers for what we could do to get some kings/snapper off the boat?

Overall a nice day out on the boat and learnt lots of new things!

Cheers,

Great work on the squid mate!

BTW - What kind of boat & car have you got? ... i've considered launching at Palm Beach but concerned about the shallow water & sand ramp (i've got a 4.2m tinny & Subaru Forester);

We have a 5+ half cabin fibre glass and a forester as well should have no probs... I think we will keep to the launching at low and retrieval with a mid to high tide.... If u launch remember to keep front wheels on the tarmac/concrete, part as you cn get bogged on the retrieval

Cheers

Edited by Egg-Soup

I used to use a cage but ive lost a few fish around the rope so after watching how the usa tuna fishermen drop there cubes down to beat the birds i figured it should work with pellets. Small amounts fairly regular at different depths. Its pretty much a cage with an open bottom with the weight on the top and water pressure holds the burley in on the way down then you stop it at the desired depth.