PFD's

Morgo85

Hi guys,

I have recently purchased a fishing kayak which I am picking up next week. Can't wait!

Question I have is which PFD to go for? I know there are so many to choose from so I thought I would throw it out there and ask all the raiders out there what PFD you guys reccommend?

Matt

Edited by swordfisherman
corrected spelling at author's request

Congratulations on your purchase, Matt!!

Yep, Jeff is right - the inflatable PDFs are the way to go for comfort especially. If you ever get into dodgey weather or feel vulnerable, you can just manually blow it up enough to give you 'security' in case of being knocked off ....... without wasting the gas bulb. They do need to be 'checked' every year or so to be 'legal' - there is a set procedure to do this tho.

cheers

Roberta

Hi guys

Hopefully this becomes available to the general public soon ........ this seems a great option between manual only or automatically opening only PFDs! If you go under (say if you hit your head & was unconcious) and went to a depth of 1m or more for 10 secs, the lifejacket will then inflate taking you back to the surface!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qij8NobPG4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=F5QxtyV5D38

OK .... so there is a pressure switch that will inflate the vest automatically if it is submerged at 1m or deeper more than 10 seconds! That sounds terrific.

The tragic deaths of those 2 young surf life savers who were competing on the Gold Coast when hit by their boards & drowned ...... they may have been saved if they had been wearing these! I can see them becoming compulsory kit for Surf Competitions in particular & any self respecting fisho - whether boat, yak or shore.

When knocked out unexpectedly, often the air in your lungs is explosively expelled - which makes you sink like a stone - which is why the young blokes above were not found until hours later. They were already on the bottom in turbulent conditions.

I can see this eventually becoming standard kit on all inflatable life jackets - even for rock hoppers (one of the most deadly fishing sports out there) - if you are swimming on the surface, it will NOT inflate - it will only inflate if you go under waer to a depth 1m or more & stay there for 3 sec or more.

I'll see if I can contact the guy to see how far his R&D has come - tho it looks pretty well complete as is!!

Imagine if these were on all airplanes that go down at sea? It would increase the possibility of survival, I would think, if the smash doesn't do you in first!

Here is another one

Food for thought!

CHeers

roberta

Edited by Roberta