Boat fishing combo for Jew and Kings

blacksmurf

Hi All,

I'm currently looking for another outfit to fish within the Port Hacking River in Sydney from a boat.

I'm targeting Jew up to 1.2m (I wish) and Kings up to 1m. I regularly land 85cm Jew with 8-10kg rod in the river, and have not had much luck with the small Kings about (never seem to hook up).

From reading previous posts, I think i'm sold on a Shimano Stradic FJ reel. I also want to fish with a graphite rod

So, what im interested in knowing:

• What size reel? (4000?)
  • What size graphite rod?
  • What brand/model rod?

I have approximately $300-350 total to spend.

Thanks in advance

Edited by blacksmurf

Recently went through the same situation, The old mind running a hundred miles an hour. I finally went a shimano stradic 5000fg reel and a shimano terez 15 to 30lb rod. Have'nt given a test run yet due to this bloody weather. cheers Ron.

I would say the reel is more important than the rod. If you are already catching good Jew on your existing outfit, then it might be worthwhile keeping it as a Jew outfit. For kings up to a meter (even over a meter) a 4000 reel with 50lb braid and 80lb leader is enough to stop most bad kings. Any reel with 10 + kilo drag. I used a shimano 4000 twin power if you can find one cheap. The rod match it to your drags capacity, something 10 to 15kg should be enough for what you are fishing for.

Recently went through the same situation, The old mind running a hundred miles an hour. I finally went a shimano stradic 5000fg reel and a shimano terez 15 to 30lb rod. Have'nt given a test run yet due to this bloody weather. cheers Ron.

+1 on the shimano Terez 15-30 pound 1 peice rod, it's got the Fiji k guides which is really nice to use with braided lines. I matched it with a 5000 fj stradic that's my Jew/ king combo for the boat and it's a powerfully built yet light rod you could use it all day, and it looks damn sexy it's the same colour as the stradic, and it's handled 1 m kings no problems still have to get the Jewie that's 1 meter!! Plus Though.

I paid $210 for reel and $185 for the rod see if your local tackle store would give u a good price for the combo

Tight lines,

Shakeel

If your on a budget as i was, its hard to go past the spheros 18000 with 20kg drag. Got it for 140 and will stop almost anything as long as your arms dont rip out first. :)

May be overkill for jews though, i have it as a king slayer......yet to slay though. :(