Bass point frustration

elferoz777

Seeing as how port break walls were closed I headed down to bass point.

Was delighted to see that the ppl there were catch bucket loads of bonito and frigate macks.

Was not so delighted with my efforts.,,,

3 casts for 3 F$#$% ups

The first two my braid shredded....the third I got snagged.

Long story short I was incredibly under-prepared....

I have always bragged that my 40$ JW combos were good enough for me though this was my down fall today.....

Imagine seeing 607 blokes bagging out and you cant even make the distance to hit the fish....was very frustrating...

Needless to say I know what next pay cheque is going on....

Any one recommend a good rod and reel set up for targeting the pelagic fish?

Not too expensive is ideal but not cheap an nasty like my current set up....just didnt have the capability to hit the distance :1giveup:

Mate I bought a cheap rod online and with a $40 JW reel with cheap braid and could cast a mile, the reel eventually started to get loose after 6 months of trolling and casting but held up fine, now running the sienna 2500 with fins 6lb braid and a 7 ft carbon fibre rod, I think the rod and smooth casting braid are the 2 most important parts but thy whole setup cost me $130 all up and I've caught Bonnie's tailor salmon and a few legal kings on it too and its been great

If you're looking for an outfit to start spinning from the rocks for bonnies, salmon, etc.., you should be looking for a rod at least 9ft in length, casting range of 20-60g, and 6-10kg line. I use a Daiwa Shore Jigging 9ft6in rod but cheaper options might be their Crosscast or Seabass range, or Catana or Starlo Classix range from Shimano. As for reels, you want something that will hold at least 200m of your chosen line class with a retrieve ratio c.6x preferably. I use a Stradic 5000FJ and 20lb braid, but you could look at the Symetre 4000 or something similar from Daiwa. Much depends from how much you want to spend. I find that high speed spinning though tends to be pretty hard on the rod and reel because you're generally casting as far as possible and retrieving as quickly as possible, so it pays to get gear as good as you can justify.

Aidan

thanks for the info

In all honest the JW cheapy gear has lasted me through thick and thin over the last 18 months..

I was fishing with 20 lb braid and a 10 ft rod. I had a float with weight and a sinker but I dont believe I had enough weight for the conditions.

I do agree that good braid works a treat for casting distance. For some reason today my allbright knot kept coming undone sending my lure into orbit.....really embarrassing when it happened twice in a row in front of everyone.....typical to! I always tie it the same way and have nailed tailor and salmon on it so I am not sure what the deal is unless the ebay braid has a use by date.....My knots for the most part a pretty damn good.

I think I will return on a week day when there are not as many ppl there so I can get a safe spot on the ledge.

Hopefully with a new reel

hi elf,

i have fish that ledge many times and had many good captures there from bonnies to kings to even tuna.

great fun to get a graphite/carbon rod about 8ft will do and fit a good 3000 size reel to it with nice braid... go with what you could stretch your budget as i do believe you get the performance and value for your money. it does not have to be the bees knees but would be nice though??

anyway reason for carbon/graphite is that you will find they are light enough to cast for long periods and the distance due to the way the rod flexes and then return to its natural state stops the line from slapping against the blank and increases distance. also the spool design allows line to flow out easily,gain reduces friction and increase distance.

i find that pelagics there will take lures willingly so i carry a few all the time. i find i outcast most of them guys there each time with that setup and get my 1-2 fish to keep and then catch and release or give them away... very satisfying and fun on such light setups... just my 20cents.

Hey elf,

Good to hear you found and are trying out bass point :)

As for the rod and reel set up, 7-8 foot 2-5 kg or around that rods should be your choice paired with a 2500 or a 2000. Plenty of good cheap choices out there. I got the wife a Daiwa crossfire and she loves it.

The sienna range in shimano are cheap and decent enough to pull in those bonitos and salmons, but a rat king might give you some probs hehehe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

elf,

glad to hear u finally made it to bass pt...pity u didnt catch any...as someone mentioned before...u can get d penn spinfisher reel online really cheap atm... d ssm model is now very cheap due to a new model just came out here in aus...d ssv...try using uni or rapala knot to tie your lure..excellent knot to use...i use double uni to connect my leader to my mainline...works all d time...i use 30lb powerpro braid and 30lb fc leader...i target all d pelagics...hope this helps...goodluck

Do they open the south wall? I'd like to try for a jew along there?

I think the north wall would be better

I've seen quite a few landed on the north wall but not the south wall

Might have to give bass pt a shot

been a year since ive been

Do they open the south wall? I'd like to try for a jew along there?

South Wall is usually always open and you do catch Jews on it.

As for Bass Point, I was let off the leash for 2 hours yesterday and made a bee line to Bass point given the conditions. The swell was moderate but not deadly and boy was the action on. If i kept any of the fish i caught i would have bagged out in 30 minutes. Bonito's and Frigates galore.

All ended when the pregnant wife called and told me to get back to go maternity clothes shopping. So i packed up and left the fish still on the chew.

Half way back to the gong (windang) the wife calls and says she found a ride with the bro inlaw so i make a pit stop and see if i can get a few flatties, 10 minutes into wetting a line i get the dreaded call "I need you to see if it looks good" :thumbdown:

But anyways, if you are planning a trip to Bass Point, the old blokes have told me that it's been hectic for the past 2 weeks......and i should come back more often to visit my mum :1sweatdrop:

But anyways, if you are planning a trip to Bass Point, the old blokes have told me that it's been hectic for the past 2 weeks......and i should come back more often to visit my mum :1sweatdrop:

sounds good

I'm tempted this weekend to go to windang for flatties till the morning then bonnies at bass pt

South Wall is usually always open and you do catch Jews on it.

As for Bass Point, I was let off the leash for 2 hours yesterday and made a bee line to Bass point given the conditions. The swell was moderate but not deadly and boy was the action on. If i kept any of the fish i caught i would have bagged out in 30 minutes. Bonito's and Frigates galore.

All ended when the pregnant wife called and told me to get back to go maternity clothes shopping. So i packed up and left the fish still on the chew.

Half way back to the gong (windang) the wife calls and says she found a ride with the bro inlaw so i make a pit stop and see if i can get a few flatties, 10 minutes into wetting a line i get the dreaded call "I need you to see if it looks good" :thumbdown:

Ill be there

I found the casting issue with my el cheapo set up....

Me and my son went to practice casting to be sure and lets say I will be more than ready this time........

I just didn't bring the right gear for the conditions...

Cant wait...

Might even go during the week so to avoid the crown

LungFai,

Was it crowded when you were there?

Yeah it was shoulder to shoulder but the locals are a good bunch who know when the fish is on its all good an fun to share. Crossed line were laughed off as we jeered each other in regards to size, I swear that 30cm frigate pulled as hard as a 50cm bonito :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk