stessco 485 or savage 480 ranger

pappy

hi am looking at a 485 stessco albcore c console 2012 model and a savage 480 ranger 2006 model has any one had any issues with these boats will be used for lake fishing and some offshore fishing at swrocks.thanks pappy

wow thats 2 very different boats. I own a Stessco but Ive always liked the design of the savage. one has a lot more room but the other has much more protection.

What about the motors ? Im guessing the newer boat would have a newer motor then the other, between the 2 boats I think the motor would make the deciding vote.

Brett

Hi pappy,the Savage is a better built boat and it will perform better with that engine on the transom although the Stessco, with its engine ,will be better on fuel. As mentioned they are two pretty different boats but the Savage Rangers were and still are very good boats. I am guessing they are both second hand and if they are the same sort of money that should answer which is a bettter boat but the Stessco being less than 12 months old would be under warranty if the boat or outboard has a problem whereas the Savage you would be own your own. Are they the same sort of money?

I would stock and sell Savage long before Stessco-like comparing a Mercedes to a Kia.

Cheers,

Huey.

thanks for replys the stessco 12 mounth old$ 23000 the savage 2006 mod $18000 .only 12 mounth warranty on stessco hull so no warrenty there .the savage 75 merc has 54 hr on it .looking for a boat that will last $23000 is my budget.

Hi pappy, yes the 75HP Merc were and still are very fine engines and pretty built proof. Being a carby engine not much to go wrong and you just need the basic knowledge to repair them unlike some clean engines. As with any outboard the basics want to be confirmed like compression test or better yet leak down test, 3 good strong spark and good fuel system. Check the condition of the gearlube and factor in a water pump service if it has not been done in a while-csots about $600 and most important go for a run in the water and make sure she is seeing around 5400RPM at WOT. They are stron engines being the de-tuned 90HP and in its class and technolgy the pick of the crop if she is a good one.

Cheers,

Huey.

I love our Ranger.

It took us years to find the boat that we were both extremely happy with.

As a 50+year woman my search had different criteria to my husbands.

We have fished Lake Jindabyne, Lake Glenbawn, The Nepean, the Harbour and Botany Bay (and a few other places).

We have been caught out in some very rough weather both on the bay and Lake Glenbawn and found the Ranger to handle conditions very well (although I don't want to experience that again).

I love the higher sides and the wider gunwale. The width is wider than most the boats we were looking at which makes it more stable when we are walking around. The walk through bow is one of Geoff's favourite features.

Geoff also mounted an electric motor to the bow see here http://www.fishraider.com.au/Invision/index.php?showtopic=29655

Good luck with your choice.

Feel free to contact Geoff (Mr Dalucius) or myself by pm if you have any questions.

Regards Lyn