Boat licence requirements

Shed1

Hi guys,

Just looking for confirmation that I'm reading the nsw licensing requirements right.

From time to time my wife (who isn't licensed) might take the wheel while I'm sorting something out. Normally involves something she has tangled/snagged or generally lost :-)

If I'm reading the regs right she is not required to be licensed provided she doesn't exceed 10 knots even though the boat is capable of exceeding 10 knots. Can anyone confirm this for us please? When I got my licence I'm sure you had to have it if the vessel was capable of exceeding 4 knots regardless of what speed you made.

Cheers

Steve

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Rules state you need a license to drive a boat at 10 knots or more. The power of the motor, size of the boat, time of day, weather etc do not affect the requirements for a license. Although it is suggested that you do have water knowledge.

Some people get angry and fired up when this topic comes across(from what Ive read on other forums on the net regarding this topic). The rule is there, Ive phoned up about it, confirmed it. No license required when operating <10 knots.

From what I know. when you complete a log book, you are given a certificate of some sort but it does not count as a license. The rule states that you must hold a license to travel at or above 10 knots and while you are completing your log book, you aren't holding a valid license.

If the boat can do more than 10 knots then you must be licenced.

I don't think you can drive a boat with a big motor on it without a licence regardless that you are doing under 10 knots.

You have a bad method of interpreting what you read. Go back and read the maritime rules again. I spoke to them about this.

Interesting topic.

I had a 12ft tinny with a 15hp motor on it when I was living up in Newcastle. No boat licence at the time, didnt get that till I relocated to Sydney and purchased my current boat.

I fished the Hunter river a fair bit and had no issues as I was just putting around the snags throwing plastics or lures with not much maritime around if any at all.

A mate convinced me to go fish lake mac and thats when the trouble began. I reckon I fished there a dozen times with at least half of those times receiving a warning for not having a licence and operating a boat capable of greater than 10 knots.

Yet the boating hand book states the following;

"The speed at which a boat is driven determines

whether a person needs to be licensed.

Any person who is the master of a powered

vessel operating recreationally on NSW waters at

a speed of 10 knots (18.5kph) or more must have

a boat driving licence.

Ten knots is the speed at which most

accelerating boats will start to plane – that is

rise up and skim on top of the water instead

of ploughing through it.

The exception is that anyone who drives a

personal watercraft (PWC) at ANY speed must

have a PWC Licence."

Trying to agrue the point didnt get anywhere, yet other times when pulled up everything was fine..

Go figure...

Cheers

Choicebro

Guest Aussie007

yeah it was on my license renewal a couple of years ago anyone can drive a boat under 10 knots without a license if the boat is capable of more than 10 knots it must be registered but only driven under 10 knots if u get pulled up say this to the police or maritime so they know u know the rules and they dont fine u

Ok so you can go hire a big powerful boat without a licence because you tell them you are only going to travel under 10 knots? Good luck.

I know what the book says but have seen different.

What the rules say and what you do are two very different things. Its there for you to follow. Its there for them to enforce.

Ok so you can go hire a big powerful boat without a licence because you tell them you are only going to travel under 10 knots? Good luck.

I know what the book says but have seen different.

From personal experience on Sydney harbour with the water police, they told me that my son who was unlicenced could drive my boat which has a 150hp motor as long as he did not exceed 10 knots.

As far as hiring a big powerful boat without a licence, who's going to hire anyone without a licence such a vessel. Their insurance would not allow it to start with and I don't see what that statement has to do with the post anyway.

Jeff

Rules state you need a license to drive a boat at 10 knots or more. The power of the motor, size of the boat, time of day, weather etc do not affect the requirements for a license. Although it is suggested that you do have water knowledge.

Some people get angry and fired up when this topic comes across(from what Ive read on other forums on the net regarding this topic). The rule is there, Ive phoned up about it, confirmed it. No license required when operating <10 knots.

Thanks Sarge,

That's how I read it as well so I think for our purpose my wife doesn't need a licence to operate the boat at the slow speed she drives it at on the odd occasion.

We have always made sure that she is competent enough and familiar enough with the controls to at least beach it if I'm not able to and I'm sure if there was an emergency waterways will let that slide just wasn't sure about generally taking it while I'm doing something else.

Cheers

Steve

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Is there a reason she shouldn't get her license? Obviously she can handle the boat. Why not teach her sign, off her log book ( i think thats what they require now) then do the written test?

Cheers Luke

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

if the rule book says over ten knots then that is the law. The only problem is proving that you are doing under 10 knots because their word pulls more weight than yours. Also depends on the governments financial situation, when they need the revenue !!

Is there a reason she shouldn't get her license? Obviously she can handle the boat. Why not teach her sign, off her log book ( i think thats what they require now) then do the written test?

Cheers Luke

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree. Encourage her to get her licence. My wife has hers and she loves zooming over the water. She says why should she miss out on the fun? ANd launching and retrieving is a breeze and only takes a couple of minutes. She drives the boat on and off the trailer and never has to get her feet wet. Everybody happy.