Another little Black Marlin for the small boat

Drew01

Well here I am again with another post in just a few short weeks.....

It all started with the reports coming through that there were a few Marlin being caught of the Tubes at Jervis Bay on Monday the 25th and and Tuesday the 26th of Feb and as it would have it I had a weeks holiday starting on the 1st of March.... Giddy Up!!!

Then.......... the weather turned to Poo on the Wednesday (Typical), so all week here I was every few hours looking up the weather to see if thing would improve for the following week

Great news was that come Sunday afternoon all reports were saying that the weather for the next 4-5 day was looking fantastic and with a really good day predicted for Tuesday the 5th of March the plans turned was to chase some Marlin

After speaking to a few people how had advised that due to the resent weather the water temps had dropped considerably in the Bay and best bet was to head wider, we planned to travel to the Canyons about 35 km's off shore

So we set off early Tuesday morning from Murray's boat ramp and dropped a set not far out of the heads, there was a lot of bird activity around the front of JB but we decided to continue on to the planned destination

After a few hours of trolling out to and around to each of the canyons we decided to make a run back into JB as we could not see much happening out that far, although the water temp when we left was around 19.1 degrees celsius and when we were out that far it reached a max of 26.2 degrees celsius with a couple of good temp breaks from 25.3 to 26.2 degrees celsius

So as we made our way back to JB and were approaching the heads, I was about to pull in the set when my mate suggested to leave them until we get to Middle Ground and have a drop for some Kings (no kings to be found)

This was the best advice of the day as when we were about 1.5 to 2 km's from the heads my lure was hit twice and then began to scream

Excitement took over as we began to fight the fish, unfortunately this fish did not see the fun in putting up much of a challenge and came to the boat very easy

After we had it boat side and ID it as a small black Marlin (approx 30 kg) we got it up for a few quick pictures and the chucked him back to grow and be caught another day.......

This has been the best season for me and my mate as two trips out in the passed month with three black Marlin caught

Cheers

post-18011-0-22059400-1362987220_thumb.jpg

Awesome job mate. You just never know when they are going to hit!!! Although I haven't heard any reports of big marlin this year, there have been plenty of small blacks around. It's just a matter of putting in the hours. And you have, so well done champ!

Cheers scratchie!!!