Mercury 2 Stroke Whats This?....

Dan A

Hiyas,

I removed the cover off of my mercury 50 2 stroke today and found a screw rolling around, upon further inspection it appears that it had come from a black plastic cover convering the carburetor?...(looks like a blockhead with 3 holes approx 5cm diameter in it and when moving the accelerator opens and closes a flap inside them.)

This cover was fairly loose and was not stting up against the 3 holes..so my question is would this have had an impact on my performance or fuel usage?...does anyone know what i'm talking about..and what does this thing do?[hb]

Thanks

Dan

Guest bluecod

Dan,

sounds like it is the air filter - those three holes would be the carburettor throats

Having it loose would mean that air is entering the carbies without being cleaned and may also effect fuel/air ratios. Being in a marine environment it is not that likely the cleaner would be picking up huge amounts of dust, however with a possible effect on fuel/air ratios, your motors performance may not be optimal. In saying that there are also quite a number of other factors that will affect performance.

Best to replace the screw so the intake is secured.

Edit: Dan I didn't read your post correctly the first time - I took the 5 cm to be 5 mm - it looks like you've got three carbies and those holes are the carby throats and the flaps are the flutter valves that regulate airflow.

Edited by bluecod

im presuming the block is in between the cylinder head and the carby, if so depending how loose the remaing bolts are will depend how much air is going through, if they are slightly loose you will find the mixture will lean out due to the air entering in between and not going through the carb. If you are concerned about them coming loose again just use a small amount of loctite on the threads, in fact loctite is fairly good for any bolts/screws which are prone to vibration.

EDIT Sorry i mis read your post, what bluecod said is right they would be part of your carby throats, i still would reccomend using loctite.

Edited by fishn4fun