Avoca Beach 31/7/05

Tim

Hi guys

Went to Avoca Beach this afternoon for a fish. Had a look see out on the rocks at the south end first. As usual, lots of fishermen and not many fish. There was one bloke with a kingfish though. I was chatting to him and asked if he'd caught anything & he said "yeah, a little yellowfin". "Really?" I asked excitedly and he pointed to his keep net. I had a look and it was actually a kingfish of about 40cm. I told him and said it wasn't legal. He thought it was funny.

Anyhoo, back to the fishing report. I went down to the beach near the lake at about 3.30pm and casted a 65g raider around for about an hour. I got hit on the first cast & was connected for a few seconds to a good salmon before he jumped & managed to throw the hook. After that, not another touch on the lure. At about 5pm the surfies vacated my gutter so I moved in & switched to pillies on three 4/0 gang hooks. Got a small 25cm bream on dusk, and a few hits after that. I hooked another salmon after dark and again, it jumped and threw the hook after about a minute's fight! :ranting2:

On my very last pilchard I managed to hook another salmon. I wish it had been daytime, cos he must have jumped 7 or 8 times. It would have been great to watch! This one didn't escape. I dragged him up on the beach and he was a healthy fatso of just over 56cm to the fork. :1clap:

With all my bait gone, and my fingers getting cold, I decided to call it a night. One question... Do salmon eat other salmon? I considered killing this one and using it for flesh bait, but changed my mind and decided I'd had enough.

Cheers

Tim

PS. I also had a spin session off the rocks at the south end of umina beach today. Caught one chopper & nothing else.

PPS. I think I've typed enough now.

Guest bluecod

Nice going Tim :thumbup: , you managed a few fish and had a bit of fun

I put in a few hours on the beach at dawn the other day for zip :thumbdown:

Sounds like a good day! Havent been to Avoca for a long time.

When making your 3 hook rigs, put a swivel between each hook. It lets the hooks move freely and makes it harder for the Salmon to throw the hooks!

Howard.

Sounds like a good day! Havent been to Avoca for a long time.

When making your 3 hook rigs, put a swivel between each hook. It lets the hooks move freely and makes it harder for the Salmon to throw the hooks!

Howard.

60044[/snapback]

Thanks for the tip bluefin. I'll give it a go. How do you attach the swivel? You could attach one end in the eye of the bottom hook, but what about the next hook up? What stops it from sliding off the end of the hook?

Cheers

If you turn the swivel around you can slip it over the barb of the hook, unlikely to ever come off while fishing!

I use no 12 or 14 swivels, quite small but will handle 6 to 8 kg line.

Can get a photo tomorrow if needed?

Howard.

Tim,

I also tried Avoca rocks early sunday morning with the only fish caught being a port jackson, my brother and I had better success Saturday night at Copa Beach with a haul of 3 salmon the largest being 3.5kg. Copa beach seems to produce salmon when they aren't biting anywhere else, maybe not in big numbers but enough for I bit of fun or a feed if salmon are your thing.

PS My gang hooks are set up the same as bluefin has described.

Just put the next one in the open eye of the next gang hook, and slide the swivel down the shank to the bend of the hook. wallah.

One thing on this, I find 3 gang hooks with swivels equates to one big arse pilchard. Don't you find the middle hook, using about 4\0 say, just gets buried in the flesh?

"Just put the next one in the open eye of the next gang hook, and slide the swivel down the shank to the bend of the hook. wallah."

Shows how long it's been since I made any! Thanks for that!

I find 3 hooks plenty, I have 3/0 and 4/0s made up, Bream hook better on the smaller hooks!

Howard.