NSW 17th March - Kingy action at Middle Harbour

nbh00d

Given today's wind forecast, I was juggling between going for a fish or giving it a miss. I chose to brave it as today was my only day off. I started the day with sourcing live bait but failed miserably. Squids weren't at my favourite spot and there wasn't any yakkas at Balmoral island. I had basically given up and was going to end the day early, so I decided to go and check out a few markers before I head home. By the time I got to the second marker things start to get very very interesting. I could see big predators lurking in mid columns on my sounder and was praying that my leftover squid strips can tempt them. It wasn't long till I heard the famous zzzzzz sound from my reel and I was on. Fought with it for a few minutes and I was determined not to lose this kingie like last Friday. Finally landed it and saw 2 of his mates following him as well. I knew there were more and bigger kings down there so dropped over another squid strip over. Rod buckled like crazy and I was struggling to get it out of the rod holder. I could definitely feel this time I am onto his bigger brother. Line peeling off so fast as if there was no drag on my reel. It pulled my kayak around and it decided to wrap my line around the marker's rope. I tried to follow it and untangled line but no chance. DAMN!!! Lost another King in this week. Finally score today is 2 kings hooked and 1 landed. P.S. The water was very warm inside the harbour, dipped my finger into it and can feel the 'heat'.
DSC01660_zps343d1f7e.jpg

Guest mike2153

That's awesome mate, where abouts did you get him? I was in middle harbour and the wind was just terrible it pretty much ruined my day just to rough to be in the ;ittle yak out there.

What sort of rig did you catch him on?

I caught it right at the middle white buoys at Cobblers beach. The rig I used was just a simple live baiting rig with a heavy sinker due to the strong wind.

Edited by nbh00d

Great work. How long did it take to land the successful,king? Also how long do you think the frozen squid last effectively?

About 5 mins and I think the frozen squid will last quite a while providing it hasn't been in contact with freshwater.

Gav's!!! mate! awesome job buddy! I really need to get the yak out more often. How big the king go?

Only 62cm as I usually lose the battle with the bigger ones. Maybe time to upgrade some heavier gear and yeah you should come out more with the yak boys!!!!

Only 62cm as I usually lose the battle with the bigger ones. Maybe time to upgrade some heavier gear and yeah you should come out more with the yak boys!!!!

mate, all I am waiting for is an invite with the yak boys!! hehehe

I just got myself a hobie outback, so I can't wait to put it through its paces.

what gear are you using? just wondering if my medium outfit would be able to handle them, I can't imagine bringing my heavy stuff on the yak.

Edited by quintrex480

"mate, all I am waiting for is an invite with the yak boys!! hehehe"

Zarn, we got group chat on Whatsapp. Convenient as everyone has different schedules and can sometimes only go out at different times but it's there to see whos going and when and we always bounce ideas off each other. PM me if you're keen to join.

Edited by Paul

Gav, congtrats on the kingy.I noticed your using a garmin echo fishfinder. If you dont mind me asking, how do you find it? does it mark fish well? thanks Anthony .

Absolutly Love it. I used to have the older one but sold it with the previous yak. Just got this from BCF when they are doing special as I found it is very good at marking the kings.