Towra Flats Fishing

pmak

Hi Fellow Raiders,

Been spending the last few weekends at Towra / Kurnell as usual. Is it just me or has summer arrived a little late this year? Been trying topwaters at Towra this time during early morning high tides - really early morning as in just on first light figuring that fish would be freely feeding in the flats in the low light conditions. Well, what do you know, they were!

I was targeting bream of course but on two occassions, really good sized trevally have taken a liking to my Berkley 3B Scum Dog lure. Both fish were in the mid 40s and fought really well. I thought the first trevally was a fluke but the second proved beyond doubt that the trevally were willing to take a topwater lure!

post-3388-0-91770900-1364209078_thumb.jpg

post-3388-0-04196300-1364209099_thumb.jpg

There were bream to be found as well.

post-3388-0-29225100-1364209132_thumb.jpg

There were more missed strikes than fish caught. The difficulty was not striking when you see the fish smash the lure. I actually caught the bream in the picture when I was fiddling with my Minn Kota and left the lure sitting still in the water! (gotta allow more pauses in the retrieve me thinks). I unfortunately lost the lure eventually to most probably a tailor or snook.

Bream were definitely in Towra in numbers. I could see them in schools and many would follow the bream that I hooked close to the boat! Hope some Raiders get into the action as well before things cool down!

pmak

Gotto love Towra when its fishing well Some cracking bream on there at times :thumbup:

Only move your surface lure about a meter then pause it for up to 10seconds before moving it again

The bream should really be smacking HBs on there at the moment

Nice work PMAK! love the surface action, If you are missing a few of the hits i have re-rigged a few of my surface lures with the ecogear ZX hooks and find i get more hook ups with bream. Also as iceman said (and your self) long pauses are sometimes the key to success. I have sometimes let the lure sit for 30+seconds before moving it..... that is mostly from distraction though... and have still caught fish. good luck out there on the next trips with some practice you should be nailing the bream!

Iceman/bassboy - will keep the tips in mind. I've never really tried topwaters in that area and don't know the best seasons for it but it looks like March is good. If I wasn't going away during the Easter break, I'd be down at the flats fishing for sure!

Formosan - I was in about a metre of water casting to shallower stuff. I'd swap bream fishing for some kingy action if I knew what to do!

Poddy Trapper - it's already March heading into April. Gotta unleash your Stratos into the bay man ....

hey pmak,

im keen to try some surface fishing,

were you fishing the flats on the eastern side of towra point towards kurnell or the western side kind of towards carters island/wooloware?

wouldn't mind seeing my fish smash the lure of the surface thats for sure :)

cjchen,

I was at the western side. Extensive sand and weed beds. Can be shallow during the low tides but you'll find boats and kayaks close to the shore of the National Park at high tide. Just on first light was good for me but if you're in a kayak, you should be able to sneak up on the fish at any time.

Good luck!