Gunnamatta Bay

Yowie

Drifted over the sandbank in Gunnamatta Bay before first light, nippers as bait, was the last half of the run-up tide.

Pulled out a few bream in several spots. Not too big, the biggest near 30cm, plus some undersize as well. Also pulled out 2 just legal tailor and a few undersize whiting. Ended up with 6 legal bream. The water was about 1.5 metres deep.

When first light appeared, anchored up on the edge of the bank and fished into the deeper water. Caught a couple of larger yellowtail and cut them into strips. Caught a few dozen little reddies, only 1 legal at 33cm. The reddies were grabbing the bait before it could hit bottom. Hooked a salmon about 50cm, but the hook pulled out at the side of the boat.

Enough for a couple of feeds. No photos today.

Thanks for the report Yowie. I always wondered what the fishing would be like at gunnamatta bay as i typically fish upstream of lilli pilli and the channel through gunnamatta can get pretty busy on the weekend for a drift. Good to see that there are a few fish there.

Thanks for the report Yowie. I always wondered what the fishing would be like at gunnamatta bay as i typically fish upstream of lilli pilli and the channel through gunnamatta can get pretty busy on the weekend for a drift. Good to see that there are a few fish there.

The bream were scattered about, but still hooked a couple until just after sunrise,

A couple of the bream had a few nippers and squirt worms in their stomachs, so that is what they were feeding on over the flats. At night time the nippers must be closer to the surface in the sand and become easier for the fish to grab.

No jews for a couple of weeks Chris. Took the caravan to Gerroa last week, just for a break. Threw a soft plastic in the little river under the bridge but nothing biting, nothing for other fishos either.

The bream have been a bit quiet, there are smaller ones around the banks, but info from Gabes bait shop at Sylvania is that there are some bigger bream in the deeper bays, night time fishing.