Sow and Pigs reef

SargeRX8

Hey all

Just a quick question about this reef. Not fussed by what I could or couldn't catch there but more the safety part. I read many years ago the reef was bombed to make it a little smaller but still has points which has been known to damage boats and ships. We went past there a week ago but I was too nervous to get too close as I saw waves breaking in the vicinity. I know what all the signs mean about deeper water in compass directions etc but I am concerned about currents, slipping anchors, tide changes(high to low), and also want to know if an anchor could get stuck around the reef. If anyone can shed some light for me or maybe go one further and edit the picture attached and show where is a good spot to drop an anchor and be safe from risks, that would help a ton. If it were up to me to judge by instinct I'd say anchor north side on high to low tide and south side on low to high.

Much appreciated.

post-22820-0-02296500-1364822870_thumb.jpg

Edited by SargeRX8

I did this a while ago with some success (a flattie and oddly an octopus). Start between the N and NE poles in an outgoing tide, or between the S and SW poles in an incoming tide. Idle for a minute and check your movement (should be a slow drift away from the reef, if not change your position to match). The current is too slow to take you by surprise I think, and there are nice sand flats either side, but wind could mess up your plans and swell would be a no-no. If you are concerned, try on a calm day at slack water first?