Where and how to catch a landbased Jew

tw9635

Hi raiders,

For the past few weeks I've been trying to catch a Jew (landbased) around the northern beaches I've tried Clifton gardens, and palm beach wharf with no luck, only banjo sharks, large pike and bonito. I've been using live squid with 2 snelled 5/0 hooks. Does anyone know any good spots anywhere near the northern beaches. Any rigs, baits and general tips would be much appreciated. Thankyou so much.

Mr. Fish

Hey bud, unfortunately I have never fished around the northern beaches so I do not know many good spots (most of my jewy fishing has been on the far south coast) however I can set you on the right path for finding the right areas and the right rigs. Basically land based you are going to want a solid set up especially around obstructions like bridge pylons. I am not sure exactly where jews lived before bridges and jetties were made but that is where most of my catches have come from. Basically any bridge across estuarine rivers ( I do believe the hawksbury is not too far from where you live) will hold them along with places like jetties where livies hang out which are close to deepwater. The best times to go for them are an our before high or low tide until an hour after the tide starts to run back. Around bridges I used a heavy rig land based (15-25kg bluewater series shimano paired with a 14000 saragosa loaded with 50lb braid and 50lb FC leader (believe it or not I have been smoked on this too, jews are not leader shy)) I will either flick big plastics around or use a double hook rig with loaded with a fresh squid or a single circle loaded with a livie.

Hope this helps.

If you would like any more advice on specifics just ask. I am more than happy to share.

Luc.

Hey mr fish dee why beach I have heard is good on the south end. I've never fish there but that's a beach on my list from pics I've seen and reports read. They are a hard fish to catch but put in the time and you will be rewarded.

If you don't have access to Bridges or Jetties go onto the Boating map (http://www.maritime.nsw.gov.au/publications/maps.htmlhttp://www.maritime.nsw.gov.au/publications/maps.html) and find some holes or sections of deeper water. Fish the tide changes near the end of the day and for the bigger jewfish, fish very late at night/early morning.

If twas me, and living where you do.

I would get up to the rail bridge at brooklyn...Just on the east side 70M NW is a reef

Its just within casting diistance

Last 2 hrs of the run out at sunset or dawn.

You will need a heavy rig as you need a 6 oz sinker to hold bottom

I was on a trip out there with a couple of notable Raiders a few years ago and the Tally was NINE bigguns!

Let us know how you go!

Chris

• Thanks 1

Hi raiders,

For the past few weeks I've been trying to catch a Jew (landbased) around the northern beaches I've tried Clifton gardens, and palm beach wharf with no luck, only banjo sharks, large pike and bonito. I've been using live squid with 2 snelled 5/0 hooks. Does anyone know any good spots anywhere near the northern beaches. Any rigs, baits and general tips would be much appreciated. Thankyou so much.

Mr. Fish

pm sent.........

• 1 month later...

Hi raiders,

Mr. Fish

Hey mr fish time to thank alberto on his choice of spots. I have sent you a PM hope you got it.