Sydney Striped & Blue marlin & yellowfin

With our season in Port Stephens coming to an end we bought Reef Magic back to Sydney on Friday. We had a client wanting to charter on Saturday but with reports of Sydney very slow we were reluctant but how wrong we were & it was great to see some fish over 30kg!

At around 11.15 we raised a striped marlin on the long corner and after teasing switched to the shotgun and did some fantastic ariels as Andrew set up for his first ever marlin. After a 15 minute battle we had a very fat striped marlin tagged & boat side & a very happy client.

post-6936-0-18659600-1365906954_thumb.jpg

We soon had some yellowfin busting up in the 15-20 kg range & then headed back where we had found some bait earlier for the afternoon tide change & this is when things went mad!

The short corner was smashed & we had a nice 100kg blue marlin launch itself at the back of the boat followed by a dive & 5 seconds later the line went slack only to have the shotgun nailed and a striped marlin well over 140kg go ballistic jumping everywhere then turned and headed for NZ continuing to jump & cartwheel. Unfortunately for us the line again went slack as the fish must have got itself tangled in the 24kg & bust us off. After checking the short corner Tiagra 80 which also had no lure but the 400lb leader was grazed & snapped off we concluded that the pair of fish must have fought over the lure while the blue was hooked & cut straight through the leader - we have seen this with blues & blacks before & had it happen several times fighting bluefin tuna last year.

Soon after setting a new spread we had another fish up behind the long corner only to pull some string & but the hooks didn't find the mark. We headed for the sheds around 5 after a very promising day off Sydney & hopefully this may be the start of the stripes & blues turning up. Eagle V further north of us had a double hook up on blue & got bust off by 1 & got the other around 150kg

& another boat a little further south of us also lost a nice blue.

post-6936-0-34591600-1365906979_thumb.jpg

There are a lot more boats out today & will be very interested to hear what happens today.

Cheers

Damo

Welcome home Dammo. Some nice ones out here but lots of water between them. It appears to be more Blues than stripes at the moment so hide the light tackle.

Thanks mate... its nice to see some bigger fish than we were encountering at Port. We were running 4 Tiagra 80 chair outfits & 1 standup 24 on the shotty.... you can guess the fishes favorite for the day.

I heard Robe tagged a nice blue yesterday were you with him?

Cheers

Damo

Thanks mate... its nice to see some bigger fish than we were encountering at Port. We were running 4 Tiagra 80 chair outfits & 1 standup 24 on the shotty.... you can guess the fishes favorite for the day.

I heard Robe tagged a nice blue yesterday were you with him?

Cheers

Damo

Yeah I was there Damo. A real nice one around the 250kg mark. That's 3 from our last 4 trips. Wednesday's forecast has improved so weaher and crew permitting we'll be trying to get out again.

Thanks mate don't think I can make it that far out.

Considering going to port Stephens to try get a

Long tail. Craving some line screaming. Any ideas or wether worth the trip?

No problem.. When we left Port on Friday there were plenty of long tail in the bay. When the current was running the birds were working on schools up at Soldiers Point no further than 200m from the boat ramp & there were more of little beach. Keep your eyes open for the birds working. Outside the bay try in close inside Broughton Island or up at the little gibber (inside near the beach inside the gibber)

Good luck but hopefully you won't need to leave the bay!

Cheers

Damo

Fished yesterday (wednesday). Wind was up early but settled down later morning and a bit of swell leftover from Tuesday's southerly. 5 minutes after setting the lures had a small Black Marlin take about a foot of line on the shotgun and disappearred. About an hour later around 78fm had a decsent Striped Marlin do all the normal thingings pretending to try to eat the shotgun but missing the hook. I seriously dont know sometimes how those things can catch a feed. Then after travelling a bit wider around lunch raise a real nice Blue Marlin. This thing looked like a submarine with fins, he had one lazy bite at the rigger peeling a few yards of line before appearing behind the shotgun again doing the same thing then disappeared never to be seen again. While none from 3 was the result it was an enjoyable day on the water and the sight of that Blue is still burnt into my mind.

Nice work boat art were u fishing with lee that day . I'm hopin to get in Sydney next week an have ago at my first billfish still 0-0-0

. What drag pressure would you run on tld 50 . Is 7kg about the mark or thinking a bit lighter to give more chance to let the fish turn an sink hook

Nice work boat art were u fishing with lee that day . I'm hopin to get in Sydney next week an have ago at my first billfish still 0-0-0

. What drag pressure would you run on tld 50 . Is 7kg about the mark or thinking a bit lighter to give more chance to let the fish turn an sink hook

For me, I run 1/3 the capacity of the line. E.g 24kg = 8kg drag. Hope that helps,

Cheers scratchie!!!

Congrats, that sounds HOT on the billfish. Are the longtail thick enough to cast lures at or do you have to livebait them ? I love those things but chasing them can be soooo frustrating..

Cheers mate.. Yeah up in the deep areas around soldiers point they were pretty thick especially when the tide slowed a bit

Cheers

Damo