Should I Convert From Tiler To Remote Steer

Peter C

I have a new 50hp tiler steer 2 stroke with tilt and trim electric start oil inj which I bought for a good price... I want to fish offshore and

I have 2 choices.

1)....Have it converted to forward steer for $1000 and buy a dearer forward steer boat all up cost would be around $18000

2)....leave motor as a tiler steer and buy a big tinnie this would be cheapest way to go costing around $11000

Is it worth the extra money?

If I choose to stay with tiler steer I would consider a Brooker tinnie its specs are 5m long x 2.2m Beam 1.0m depth and 14degree dead rise Would this boat be ok for outside or is the depth a concern

Thanks for advice

I went through the same thing when I bought my new boat recently.

Mine is only a 4.3m and wasn't sure if I wanted to sacrifice the deck space for a side console.

Very glad I did. On long hauls the side console is worth its weight in gold. Especially on a chilly winters morning

One of our most prolific members, JoeCool, has gone through this very issue. I'm sure he can provide you the very insight you are looking for.

Just quietly I suspect he'll back up what Jethro just said!!!

Guest Mike.L

Did Joe change to centre/side console oh what ive missed...

I like my tiller steer with more than one up.

but by yourself a centre or side steer give you much better stability in the rough, if your venturing outside thats what i would look at, worth the upgrade?, for that price my word it is

Edited by Mike.L

Guest Jocool

I'm with Jethro on this. My boat is a tad under 5 M. I ordered it as a tiller steer to maximise the fishing space. And maximise it did! :074: Its like a bloody ball room. Theres an interesting concept...a Tango while you tangle with a Jew! :074::074: I digress.

Since having my boat as a tiller steer it made going through the rough stuff fairly hairy on occasion. With me seated right at the back, and the bow lifting to get over a swell, it was not a pleasent ride. And my rather copious weight right at the back didn't help. :1prop:

I looked at buying forward controld from Tohatsu here in Aus. and was looking at paying $1200 for them! :1yikes::1yikes: Thats not including the steering helm, steering cable, and control cables for throttle and gear change. I found, and bought the controls on E Bay for the princely sum of $160AU, landed.

My boat is currently in QLD, as it had to go back for some warranty issues anyway, and the boat builder is fitting the console and all controls for me.

Bear in mind that once you have bought the controls and steering, you need to also get cables as well as pay for their installation. I was quoted from $400 to $1200 to have the job done. That price was basically just labour content.

Yes Mike...I have changed. :biggrin2: As much as I loved a tiller steer, having the lower splash well at the rear to accomadate the tiller, severely hampered my ability to go outside for fear of copping a greeny over the back!

Should have it back soon!

Peter...What brand of Outboard is it? Some outboards can have an older model control box fitted, so that could save you some money. And besides...steering my 60 HP with a tiller was really playing havoc with my wrist! :thumbdown:

Hi Peter,

I would go with getting a centre or side console-no question.

If the boat you are in is big enough to take a 50hp outboard ,and it is an open tinny,then you , by rights should have enough room inside the boat to fish comfortably with the console fitted.

I have a 4m tinny that has been heavily modified ,I have tiller steer and use a tiller extension to get the boat balanced while under way.If it had a console the amount of room would be reduced to such a degree that It would be uncomfortable to fish out of.

My next boat will be bigger :1prop:

Simon

My brother has a 30hp tiller and i can safely say that i'm not a fan of tillers at all, particularly for a motor of your size.

Go the remote control, whether centre or side console. You won't look back. The extra price is long forgotten :biggrin2::1prop:

If going outside with a tiller, you get so wet when driving from the back, you get a sore left arm from the torque of a large motor and you can't see in front of you at low speeds. Hardly what you wanted to hear.....lol

Cheers

Red

I was wondering you fellers that have a side console’ how is the weight destitution when your under way? When I put a new console in my boat I toyed with the idea of going with a side console but that would throw the boat out of trim. How do you blokes keep the boat in trim? Particularly when fishing on your own and under way.

If a boat is set up correctly,motor is adjusted correctly,a splash well fitted,

seating as high as possible,and weight distributed evenly for one or two fishers.

Then stick to the tiller.If not go the other which is a nice and easy time spend driving.The plus side to the tiller is the back of the boat is the softers part to ride

in.I dont thing that you will be going in seas that would worry your tiller desision. :biggrin2:

Hazza

I was wondering you fellers that have a side console’ how is the weight destitution when your under way? When I put a new console in my boat I toyed with the idea of going with a side console but that would throw the boat out of trim. How do you blokes keep the boat in trim? Particularly when fishing on your own and under way.

60658[/snapback]

I have a side console and one up isnt really a problem. She is fairly beamy (2m wide) and me at 95kg doesn't make her lean at all. I can't notice a difference with the trim 1 or 2 up....