Port Hacking Calamari

nbh00d

Me & my mate launched off at Wonga Rd ramp into what certainly feels like a typical Summer weekend. It was also a nice surprise to bump into a good old friend xpat from kfdu. The plan for today was to catch a few squids then hopefully find some kings to play with. We headed off to a spot that we caught huge calamari last week but it was dead today. No worries we made my way into another spot and slowly working along the shoreline. It was hardwork today but finally managed my first squid. Then 2nd cast bang..... 3rd cast bang. After all the excitement the spot went quiet and it wasn't till 15mins I got my fourth squid. So off we went to another spot then 1st cast and 2nd cast got myself some nice squids. So 6 squids in total and 4 of them are pretty decent sized. I lost 2 hookups but still pretty happy with the result.

After we got the live bait/ dinner sorted out, we made my way to the usual kingy spot in a hope they would turn up. I sounded the area and saw school of baby snappers and occasionally a few big marks lurking in the mid column. I dropped over squid strips a few times and got demolish by those pesky small fish. In the next 30 minutes I trolled around the area with live squids for nothing. Only till later I felt some nimble and knew the baby snappers were biting off its tentacles so I pulled my precious squid out. For the rest of the day we spent squidding but got nothing apart from a small cuttlefish. Anyhow it was an enjoyable day on the water with the yak boys and a good catchup with xpat.

DSC01723_zpsb630fae5.jpg
DSC01734_zpsfd751bca.jpg

awesome effort Gavs! shame those kings didn't turn up. Love that photo with the feet up all relaxed and letting the wind do the job =).

Oh yeah it was a fantastic day to be on the water all laid back and just catching those tasty calamari. Wait till the weather clears up then might hit the bay for kings!!!