Downrigger tips

SargeRX8

Hey everyone just seeking some information about the correct method of using the downrigger. I went out yesterday, caught nothing, trying the new downrigger. I read all this fancy stuff online about wind on leaders snap swivels flurocarbon leaders etc but I ignored all this and went this a basic setup. 80lb mono leader straight to the flurocarbon. I was using about 2m of leader. Using a size 5/0 hook I pierced a yellow tail through the hard part of the nose, I set it down in the water as were moving forward at maybe 2 - 4km/h. I let it drift back about 10 - 15m then clipped the line and dropped the bomb in, applied pressure and set the drag. We trolled around for about 10 minutes just on the way back home. I decided to pull out the line gently winding the rod until it unclipped, then I felt no weight. My yakka came off. Ive pierced them through the nose and casted them off land before and never had them come off.

The questions time:

Is my setup correct?

Is it necessary to run a wind on leader attached to a swivel attached to flurocarbon?

How much line do I put between the bait and the bomb?

Is this the correct method of attaching yakka for trolling?

Is it too late to be trying to use the downrigger in the harbour? Not yet gutsy enough to get outside the heads.

This is the first time Ive fished off the boat in the harbour for zilch. Can always get the baits, but never get the fish. The population of undersized snapper is something to behold.

The bomb I'm using is 10lb and using with that 200lb stainless wire. The rod is a 15kg shimano something and the reel is a penn 750ll with carbontex drag and 50lb 5m marked braid. From what Ive read I'm meant to tighten the line on the rod until there is a good bend. That's not easy with this rod, its pretty damn stiff. Anyone recommend a good medium to heavy rod which won't set me back an arm and leg?

Hi Mate

I exclusively squid then Downrig almost everytime I go out. This works for me.

Your deployment of the bait ie. 10-15 metres back and wind up until there is a bend in the rod is good.

However it is best to use a rubber band , wrap it around the line then clip the rubber band. as it doesnt wreck the line and gives you good hold of the line without slipping off.

As for braid to approx 4 metres of shock leader 100lb (no need for wind on leaders, just use bimni twist reverse albright or slim beauty), then to a Barrel HD swivel so your line don't twist if the bait spins. then from the swivel 1.5 metres of 100lb flouro carbon then to a sliding snell 7/0 tow hook and a 8/0 or 10/0 stinger hook. If you use Yakkas, just slide the tow hook all the way up to the swivel to get it out of the way.

That's the correct way to hook a yakka for DRing. PM me and I'll show you some videos.

Edited by Formosan

Guest Aussie007

Hey everyone just seeking some information about the correct method of using the downrigger. I went out yesterday, caught nothing, trying the new downrigger. I read all this fancy stuff online about wind on leaders snap swivels flurocarbon leaders etc but I ignored all this and went this a basic setup. 80lb mono leader straight to the flurocarbon. I was using about 2m of leader. Using a size 5/0 hook I pierced a yellow tail through the hard part of the nose, I set it down in the water as were moving forward at maybe 2 - 4km/h. I let it drift back about 10 - 15m then clipped the line and dropped the bomb in, applied pressure and set the drag. We trolled around for about 10 minutes just on the way back home. I decided to pull out the line gently winding the rod until it unclipped, then I felt no weight. My yakka came off. Ive pierced them through the nose and casted them off land before and never had them come off.

The questions time:

Is my setup correct?

Is it necessary to run a wind on leader attached to a swivel attached to flurocarbon?

How much line do I put between the bait and the bomb?

Is this the correct method of attaching yakka for trolling?

Is it too late to be trying to use the downrigger in the harbour? Not yet gutsy enough to get outside the heads.

This is the first time Ive fished off the boat in the harbour for zilch. Can always get the baits, but never get the fish. The population of undersized snapper is something to behold.

The bomb I'm using is 10lb and using with that 200lb stainless wire. The rod is a 15kg shimano something and the reel is a penn 750ll with carbontex drag and 50lb 5m marked braid. From what Ive read I'm meant to tighten the line on the rod until there is a good bend. That's not easy with this rod, its pretty damn stiff. Anyone recommend a good medium to heavy rod which won't set me back an arm and leg?

you should use a bait needle and a rubber ban to attach the yakka to your hook it stops the yakka spinning and the yakka wont fall off

10mins of downrigging is ok but u need to find the fish on the fish finder first than u downrigg the spot

i use 45lb mono with 100lb leader, never had the 45lb line snap but ive had the 100lb leader come up looking like noodles

Some good info here im also a newbie.

Was out yesterday for the second time. DR'd North and south heads. Found plenty of clear bait balls but no fish.

Things i learnt yeaterday:

If on your own, wind the reel up in turn when pulling up the bomb if you dont want tangles.

When using live bait dont stop for too long or he will swim around the bomb for more bloody tangles.

Follow the 20m line at both heads. only rig deeper than 10m if you dare as there are some pinnacles that appear quickly even at 2 knots!

Dont connect the bomb over the water, bring it on deck....almost dropped it. :)

I really need a four stroke as the fumes were killing me.

Does everyone finbthe fish first before deploying the rigger? Or did i waste two hours?

Hope this helps.

Guest Aussie007

Some good info here im also a newbie.

Was out yesterday for the second time. DR'd North and south heads. Found plenty of clear bait balls but no fish.

Things i learnt yeaterday:

If on your own, wind the reel up in turn when pulling up the bomb if you dont want tangles.

When using live bait dont stop for too long or he will swim around the bomb for more bloody tangles.

Follow the 20m line at both heads. only rig deeper than 10m if you dare as there are some pinnacles that appear quickly even at 2 knots!

Dont connect the bomb over the water, bring it on deck....almost dropped it. :)

I really need a four stroke as the fumes were killing me.

Does everyone finbthe fish first before deploying the rigger? Or did i waste two hours?

Hope this helps.

u need to keep the boat at idle speed in gear while putting the downrigger down altho i do disagree with this method if fishing solo for safety reasons

always use the fish finder to find the fish it also shows u anything below the boat u might hit or snag before putting the downrigger down

u should always downrigg with the current altho ive caught fish going both ways, just going into the current u need more boat speed and u get more blow back on the downrigger line

Quality information here. I'm still unfamiliar with my fish finder. I am able to see fish, I can see balls of fish when they're feeding but I am unable to determine what is a big fish and what is a little fish. For the moment I think the only way I can use the DR is by trying my luck between point A and B.

When we were trolling we had the boat in gear, practically idling and just pushing the boat forward. The conditions were smooth so there was no issue with keeping the boat straight. Just surprised me that I found my yakka gone when I pulled it out. I'll probably do the elastic band through the eye method next or if that fails me I'll pin it through the nose and the last hook through the back. I think I'm gonna get a lighter bomb, doesn't seem necessary to be dropping in a 10lb bomb in these parts of the harbour.

I was recommended by many to go 8lb bomb in the harbour. So far been smoked twice and yet to land one but enjoying learning. Have to say it pretty exciting way to fish when you finally hear the rod flick up and drag scream off!

Sorry to hijack, keep the info coming and OP let us know how you get on with the DR.

Cheers

I can't wait man hopefully my rod is struck with luck soon, and a fish! No need to apologize, this thread is intended to source information about downrigging setup and techniques. If you don't mind me asking, where did you try your DR and get smoked? I tried from watson bay all the way to the opposite side then a run from taylor bay to that first east deep water marker and stopped. Ive rerigged a couple of my rods. Ive got an overhead abu garcia attached to a penn 15kg rod and swapped my other setup its now a shimano deep water 20lb rod with the penn live liner. The drag on the abu garcia overhead is horrid, it suffers the same problem most drags have where it feeds like really hard then gets soft. Ive got some lead blocks at home, probably weigh one up to be about 4kg and somehow rig it up.

From what Ive read its gonna be a little tougher to DR inside the harbour. Everything Ive read and watched suggests when you get a hook up, your first instinct after the hookup is to get to deeper water relatively quick.

Both times at north head.

Its a catch 22 you need to run big drag to stop them running TOO quickly but both times we struggled to get the rod out of the holder.

DR at 10m in 20m only leaves 10 which the kings hit pretty quick! We have realised that we may need to drive them out or free spool next time.

Only a matter of time before we boat one. we have learnt so much DR north and south head as you spend all the time looking at the sounder.

Its like a switch you hit the 20m line at both heads and the bait, weed and life shows up instantly. Stay on that line is my biggest tip.

Cheers

Paul

That sounds pretty exciting man, getting me worked up haha. Gotta get used to this DSI shit, from what Ive read big fish show up as small dots so leaves me wondering how small would a small fish show up as because I only ever see small dots. This 20m line you refer to, is it a navigational line? Is it something you guys have found? Or is it a line where the water is 20m deep from one point to the other. Next time I'm out ill take some photos of what I see on my fish finder.

Hi mate,try using a small cable tie through the eye cavity,its easier then than a lackie band.

Sent from a computer using a key board.

Edited by wher'd all the fish go

Guest Aussie007

u dont downrigg from point A to B u find the fish and keep driving over the one spot, ive found kings wont hit it the first past sometimes u have to pass a few times before they'll take it than almost every pass after u will hook up

when looking for the fish on the fish finder try spots where u have seens kings caught previously than u work on that area dont drive big long lines u might miss the fish by 30 meters to either side of your boat

do a search on FR for where kings have been as they will often be at the same spot the next season but u will have to keep trying the one spot untill they come inside unless ur outside