You Had To Be There …

Whitto

My Dad and I don’t get together much, he travels a lot and plays heaps of golf and lawn bowls. Most of my spare time I am busy with kids sport and as much fishing as I can fit in.

This leaves family get togethers, birthdays etc.

SO, today I took a day off work, the Old Boy had a day away from the greens and we hit Botany Bay at 9am ... a 10 knot breeze and overcast conditions had me a little concerned, so we didn’t venture far from the boat ramp. Soaking a few prawns produced a little snapper first up … followed by a couple of small flathead, the Old Boy’s handline was on FIRE !

The wind died and the sun came out, turning the morning perfect. The bite shut down, but we didn’t care … the day was just brilliant. Sitting there on dead quiet water with the sun warming us like toast …..

About an hour later another small snapper broke the spell, then came a chopper tailor, the bite again shut down and the Old Boy was just dozing off when a cruiser wake rocked the boat and we realised it was 12 o’clock … time to go.

No fish to clean, no pics of the day, no calls on the mobile, no beers … and no way I will ever forget this day.

Dad ( THE Old Boy) is 71 years young.

3/8/05

What a great memory to have.

I once fished with my dad and had always hoped my son could fish with his grandfather, but unfortunately age and health can cut things short. Still tells a reasonable storey though.

Now I make the effort to fish with my son and hope when I'm older he will take me fishing

Here's to many more good days fishing

Cheers

Sounds like a bloody nice day :biggrin2: My Dad unfortunately misses out on 99% of the fishing here due to his balance problems. Its pretty hard for him seeing me getting stuck in every trip.

It doesn't affect his enjoyment of eating of them though :biggrin2:

Sitting alone with my memories

Reliving the good times I had

And the time I spent on Hawkesburry

On weekends , alone with my Dad

Our Weekend shack

With its Dunny out back

And water that came from a well

Allowed us some home creature comforts

In the following hot summer spell..

But for those who might think it primitive

Two beds in a Shack , and a lamp

Simply don`t know what youre missing

So get out , grab the kids , and go camp.

They`ll think it swell

And the stories they`ll tell ,

When youre gone , Will honour your name.

But only if you leave them something

That they , can later , reclaim

So be quick , and for now , seize the moment

Ride the crest of the swell

And leave a legacy of memories ,

that Your kids , and grankids know well

Mick

Nice poem Mick...

And good report Whitto....

Sounds like a good day out, my Dad lives in another country and he came out on a charter with me a few weeks back when he was in the country and it was great to be able to share a day with him doing something we are both passionate about (other than getting pissed and watching sport)...

Edited by Tony Soprano

No fish to clean, no pics of the day, no calls on the mobile, no beers … and no way I will ever forget this day.

Dad ( THE Old Boy) is 71 years young.

It's amazing how quick life goes.

Make the most of every minute!

Good to see you had fun with the old boy. I should

make more effort with mine!!!! Thanks for the reminder.

:1clap::biggrin2: