Experienced fisherman looking for rock fishing mentor

Longfish

Hi,

My name is George, I am 25 and from England...I am a very experienced fisherman in the UK, and I have caught many nice fish since coming to Australia including particularly flatties, bream, trevs, and jewies (or jewie!) from my kayak and landbased...

however, I am a little unsure about rock fishing, especially solo (as none of my friends are fisherman). I have done it once solo and caught a few nice luderick, so I am familiar with the techniques (used to do a lot of float fishing with centrepins in the UK)...it is rock fishing Sydney style that I am a novice at and it seems a little intimidating considering how often I hear of people losing their lives...I did a lot of rock fishing in the UK but it is different as you are normally a safe distance above the waterline...not on platforms...and I always had at least one fishing mate with me.

So I am seeking someone to teach me the art of safe rock fishing, reading the swell...and how to catch MASSIVE PIGS!!!

I am available to fish weekends and weeknights (work dependant)...but am in regional qld until the 6th, I would love to get into rock fishing but it looks unlikely that I will be able to without someone experienced to show me the ropes.

Thanks for your time guys (and girls).

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

My name is George, I am 25 and from England...I am a very experienced fisherman in the UK, and I have caught many nice fish since coming to Australia including particularly flatties, bream, trevs, and jewies (or jewie!) from my kayak and landbased...

however, I am a little unsure about rock fishing, especially solo (as none of my friends are fisherman). I have done it once solo and caught a few nice luderick, so I am familiar with the techniques (used to do a lot of float fishing with centrepins in the UK)...it is rock fishing Sydney style that I am a novice at and it seems a little intimidating considering how often I hear of people losing their lives...I did a lot of rock fishing in the UK but it is different as you are normally a safe distance above the waterline...not on platforms...and I always had at least one fishing mate with me.

So I am seeking someone to teach me the art of safe rock fishing, reading the swell...and how to catch MASSIVE PIGS!!!

I am available to fish weekends and weeknights (work dependant)...but am in regional qld until the 6th, I would love to get into rock fishing but it looks unlikely that I will be able to without someone experienced to show me the ropes.

Thanks for your time guys (and girls).

You would be best to book a guided trip with Alex Bellissimo, he does rock fishing guiding on Northern Beaches and by all reports is excellent. Beforehand you will need to get sorted with some decent footwear if you don't already have some. Solo rock fishing isn't the world's greatest idea, I do it myself on occasion, but you really need to pick your days and your spots.

Matt

Matt

Hi George

It is essential that you go with experienced rock fishos when you are learning the ropes of Rock Fishing - it is one of the most dangerous forms of fishing in Australia. An inflatable life jacket would be a bonus to your equipment - many rock fishos are lost to drowning every year, after being washed off the rocks by a 'rogue' wave (ie a wave they were not aware of.)

Check out this list of 10 things about Rock Fishing, to start you off. Jamie Robley is a VERY experienced fisho & knows his stuff.

10 rock fishing tips Jamie Robley.pdf

cheers

Roberta