yellow leatherjackets or green toads

Benzeenees

Over the past few weeks there have been several reports on Fishraider of fishers having their lines snipped off. I have also heard comments over the vhf radio and at boat ramps so it seems that its a bit of a problem at the moment. I think we can assume its not skin divers with scissors, so the most common views are its either yellow leatherjackets or green toadfish. Has anyone actually caught one of these nuisances? Especially the toads - I've never seen one out at sea. A couple of years ago I did catch a yellow leatherjacket about 20cm long.

I have certainly seen schools of something on the sounder passing under the boat just as two lines were snipped almost simultaneously. My mate reckons that the leatherjackets snip you off down deep while the toads will get you at any depth - he lost over 30m of premium braid.

And the reports have been coming in from all over the place - at least from Wollongong to Bermagui. Are they up around Sydney?

Both are a pest!!! It is unbelievable how on some days, pretty much anywhere you stop these buggers will be waiting to cut away your tackle (if only other species were so annoying!!!)

At a particular wreck off the heads there appears to be a large amount of bait but it is in fact a huge school of leatherjackets (people have foul hooked them when fishing for other fish and also caught them on bait jigs). A couple of weeks ago we went for a flattie bash and had a couple of rigs cut off and managed to land a couple of green toads. So I would say both parties are guilty!

I have seen leatherjackets chase and attack knife jigs right to the surface (so they will readily rise from the bottom) and the green toads we caught were hooked on the bottom.

Green toads will also swim to the surface and attack line and baits. Have caught them (some years ago) out from Lilli Pilli baths in Port Hacking, and they can swim rather fast for a toad, actually chasing a bait as I was retrieving it at a bit of speed and hooking up on a couple of occasions.

You can eat the jackets (if big enough) not so the green toads.

The jackets are usually down deeper, but hooking up one can sometimes bring the school to the surface with the hooked fish.

A hand grenade is the only way to stop them (illegal of course).

I wrote a submission to the Fisheries Dept. years ago (when submissions were asked for about size and bag limits) to increase the bag number of yellow or chinamen jackets only, but never received a reply, just the same as my last submission regarding mulloway captures (still have not received any reply). My contact from the Fisheries Dept. told me the authors of these enquiries do not reply because they are f#*#ing wankers, and only ask for submissions and reports to justify keeping their jobs.

This is what happened a few months ago Squidding at Jervis Bay. Everywhere I go those damn leather jackets were there and attack my jigs & freshly caught squids. Both eyes were gone and lost one due to its tentacle hanging onto the jig was eaten. Resulting watching my precious squid ending up in a feeding frenzing for the LJ.

DSC01697_zps028e171b.jpg

Edited by nbh00d

• 2 weeks later...

It's definitely both! They are in plague proportions around Batemans Bay. Guy at the ramp reported leatherjackets following bait to the surface when he was fishing for flathead. And he got bitten off. We caught 2 of the toads - biggish green fish about 40cm long. Once I was snipped even before my sinker hit the bottom.

Edited by Benzeenees

I took my son out around middle harbour on Saturday afternoon and got smashed by these yellow leather jackets. What pests. Lost so much gear loaded with live squid and yakkas. Didn't understand how bad these guys are!

Never believed how jackets destroyed tackle till I started fishing 12 mile. When you drop your jig down then loose it all without a touch is heart breaking. Never noticed a toad till I was cubing for snapper then fishing floaters off Sydney. A school of toads appeared under the boat and made it apparent my 3 hours waiting for snapper had been in vain.

The toads are considered a delicacy in Japan. Have to be prepared by specially qualified chefs. Up to 6 deaths a year in Japan and more in other countries. The 1st photo in this article looks exactly like the toads we caught recently.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fugu

Perhaps we could start up an export business? I don't want mine so I'd be happy to send them to Japan. What is the bag limit on toads?