tackle for kingfish botany bay

brighton le sands

Hey guys,

Im looking into targetting kingfish in botany bay off my kayak and need a new rod,reel and line. I launch from kyeemagh so i can only paddle to around the first runway. Because of this im not expecting hoodlums or anything just gear for rats to 70 plus kingies. Im looking into getting a wilson lcs rod about 10-20lb, a sienna 4000FD or a Fin Nor Rampage with a sealed drag, and 10kg line. Should i go lighter or heavier? Should i go with the Sienna or rampage?

2nd option is to go with a 3-6kg rod, with a 3000 reel, and 10lb braid. which one is the better option??

Cheers,

Billy

Edited by brighton le sands

I've got alot of rat king to just near legal in Botany on 2-5kg rod, 2500 reel and 8lb line, very fun, but very scary haha. To be safer i'd go heavier, the bigger ones will kill you on that gear. I've be going 8-10kg rod 6000 reel 30lb line and it'll handle most kings in the bay

Depends what your using, if using bait I'd go a 6000 size real with a 6-10kg rod with 30lb braid and 30-50lb leader to play it safe invade a big hoodlum comes along. If using plastics and other lures go for a 3-6 kg rod and the 4000 sienna sounds great. The problem with using 10kg line is you won't be able to fit that much onto the spool. Try 10-16lb line which will mean more line, better casting but still enough strenght (if fought well) to land a sizable king. Good Luck mate and I hope I helped.

Tight lines

Jennings

• 2 weeks later...

Have managed a few decent kings from the kayak with biggest going 113cm from North Head a few months ago. Most have been on a 20 year old 6kg rod I built myself with Daiwa Caldia Kix 4000, 30lb braid and 60lb leader.