Beach fishing for mulloway

SMn

G'day,

I've read through the thread on Jew Fish Tactics numerous times and find it a great source of info, but I'm after some specific tips for jewies off the beach. Soapies up to the big girls...

1. What line class should I be using?

I have a dedicated reel (Alvey 650e5) spooled with 20lb mono, usually use 12lb mono on a 650a5 for beach work. Should I be using heavier or lighter line?

2. Any type/style/brand leader should I use?

Currently using 20lb flurocarbon or 40lb mono, but these last only a few moments when a shark hooks up. Is there any compromise where I can at least wrestle with a shark on hookup, but still light enough to be appealing to jewies? Or should I go a lighter fluro and just suck it up when I bust off on sharks?

3. Hooks, circle or suicide or another style?

Have been using mustad big guns 4/0 - 6/0, are these suitable? Also after dark have been switching to circle hooks so I don't need to see the rod tip as the fish hook themselves. Anyone had experience with these hooks for jew? Sizes?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

For a Jew I'd go 30-40 pound line and if hooking sharks frequently maybe a bit heavier. As for leader definitely go fluorocarbon. I'd say anything from 20-40 for Jews but if hooking sharks go heavier. Jewies aren't particularly leader shy ( as I've read). As for hooks it really depends on the bait anything from 3/0 to 7/0. If holding your rod use octopus hooks so you can set the hook, however f leaving the rod in a holder got circles so the fish can hook itself. Anyway hope I've helped

Mr. Fish

They're not really leader shy, I use 60lb mono leader and it doesn't bother them. Gamma Occys are the go, sharpest hooks around. 6/0 is pretty good for school sized fish, snell a couple of em together if you're fishing slab baits.

For a Jew I'd go 30-40 pound line and if hooking sharks frequently maybe a bit heavier. As for leader definitely go fluorocarbon. I'd say anything from 20-40 for Jews but if hooking sharks go heavier. Jewies aren't particularly leader shy ( as I've read). As for hooks it really depends on the bait anything from 3/0 to 7/0. If holding your rod use octopus hooks so you can set the hook, however f leaving the rod in a holder got circles so the fish can hook itself. Anyway hope I've helped

Mr. Fish

Thanks a lot! I always fish as light as possible but it seems I might be fishing too light in these circumstances. I only fish the 1 rod as I end up running around like a headless chook with 2, so I think I'll spool another reel with 40lb as well and that'll give me another line option. Good to know I can go heavier on the fluro, while the target is jew I don't mind stretching the arms on sharks while waiting.

Any preferences for fluro brand? Using black magic 20lb at the moment which lasted about 0.256 seconds on a toothy critter last night...

Cheers mate.

They're not really leader shy, I use 60lb mono leader and it doesn't bother them. Gamma Occys are the go, sharpest hooks around. 6/0 is pretty good for school sized fish, snell a couple of em together if you're fishing slab baits.

Cheers mate, I've used gama occys before when targeting sharks specifically they are deadly. I've been fishing on the cheap lately hence the mustad big games which are less than $4 a pack, I think it's time to up the buget a little... The missus will be so pleased! Hahaha...

What brand 60lb mono? Just cheap stuff or top notch? Any colour?

I use black magic 40lb but I've heard dogtooth is really good so maybe give that a try

Thanks mate I'll try the dogtooth and compare it to the black magic...

Cheers mate, I've used gama occys before when targeting sharks specifically they are deadly. I've been fishing on the cheap lately hence the mustad big games which are less than $4 a pack, I think it's time to up the buget a little... The missus will be so pleased! Hahaha...

What brand 60lb mono? Just cheap stuff or top notch? Any colour?

I've been using the Black Magic Supple and found it really good. It knots well for heavy stuff and I haven't been busted off on it yet. I've had it dragged across the rocks by school jew and little noahs a couple of times and it has held up well - it can get pretty scuffed up without looking like snapping. It's well priced too, from memory about $20 for a spool which I think is about 40 or 50 metres.

Using black magic soft fluoro at the moment in 20lb, has been great for tailor and as you say knots really well, but shredded pretty quick on the sharks. I also noted that the 20lb mono I was using as main line was getting nicked as well, so I think it was more their skin than their teeth. What line weight are you using in the black magic?

60lb Black Magic supple mono leader for jew, connected to 30lb braid mainline. I've been using a really long 4m leader as I do pretty much all of my jew fishing from the rocks into the wash. The long leader allows you to deadlift fish up to about 5 or 6kg up onto the edge once you've got them to the bottom of the ledge. Need to use a long gaff for fish much bigger than this though. The extra long leader also introduces a little bit of stretch into your system that you lose when fishing braid and can help to keep the hook in while the fish is lunging and shaking its head.

Thanks PatW and one fishes... I'll keep one reel spooled with heavy stuff and another with lighter line. I'll give the bigger hooks a crack to.

Cheers!

That stuff in the blue box is probably the best frozen squid you could get, i personally havnt caugth any large jew on it but small ones yes, i have caught some big bream on them while chasing jew, the charter guys up here in port use them for bottom bouncing and do really well, so if you were going to buy frozen squid that would be a good choice.

That stuff in the blue box is probably the best frozen squid you could get, i personally havnt caugth any large jew on it but small ones yes, i have caught some big bream on them while chasing jew, the charter guys up here in port use them for bottom bouncing and do really well, so if you were going to buy frozen squid that would be a good choice.

Good to know thanks, was thinking of the blue box or Hawkesbury squid if I can find it.

californian squid r ok for bait...but havent caught a jew with it...caught plenty of flattys with it...cost $8 for about 500grams...or $22 for 2.5kg...

$8 sounds pretty reasonable I'll give it ago... got to be better than the pink stuff I've come across from other brands. Really need to find the time to catch some fresh. But cutting it fine at the moment will only have 1 opportunity this week to have a crack at a jew, would rather spend that time with a bait in the water hahaha...