Took mrs fishing

Kizza

G'day all, was in desperate need of salt and pepper squid or fresh fish so decided to hit pittwater/hawkesbry to try my luck. Last week I asked my mrs to come and surprisingly she said yes.

so yesterday morning after maxing out the credit card for the privelage to launch and park at bayview we where on the water at 5.45. I'm in to the early start early finish but I don't think the mrs agrees!

Anyway we spent about 2.5 hours at a few different spots in pittwater for one descent green eye. I could tell the mrs is getting bored so I throw a couple of xraps on and decide to trol around west head to flint n steel. As we round west head the mrs rod goes off. Now i have put my mrs onto bream whiting and squid before but this was hilarious. She's all pancaked and winding iraticly and the fish is circling under the boat and im yelling dont let the line touch the boat while the 6 pound line from my plastics outfit is flying off the reel (was only planning to squid n flick plastics for flattys). It's all hectic for a couple of minutes and after a couple of missed shots with the net i finally land a fat 43cm tailor. Bloody funny stuff. She's awake and interested now!

We keep on trolling and we get to flint and steel and I tell the mrs to pull her line in while I turn around to stop crossover. As she's winding in bam! She's on again and the rod nearly gets ripped from her hands. Funny stuff. Again it's all hectic for a couple of minutes with the mrs panaking and me instructing. First net shot this time and up comes a healthy bonito a bit smaller than the tailor. We start trolling back towards pittwater and the mrs is giving me sh!t because I haven't caught a fish haha good ona.

We didn't hook up again on the way back and I notice outside is looking very tame. I'm not the most experienced boaty and haven't taken the 4.2 tinny outside before but today's the day! So we duck just outside to try for squid again. This is the first time I have squided not in enclosed waters and first cast and I'm on! Shortly later another descent green eye. Then looking in the water where I pulled the first squid from I see another one on the top. Must have been the first ones mate following him up. I drop the jig back in and instantly he grabs it and I net him too. Good start! Over the next 45 I net another 3 callimari and about time we have to go and unfortunately my mrs hasn't got a single one. Last cast and I hook a big squid it's taking line with each burst which non of the others did and I get it to the top and its a monster. Then when it about 5 metres from the boat there is a big splash and a bit of a commotion, my drag runs hard for a few seconds then nothing. I just helplessly stood and watched a big kingy steel my squid. Very cool and very cruel to watch and I have never seen this or heard of this happening before.

Anyway time to go now and I tell my mrs I'm happy for her to eat her fish and I will have my squid haha she didn't put sh!t on me after that!

Also my hats off to my mrs for being a good sport and not nagging about the early cold start and when the fishing was slow. Bloody trooper

The catch

post-22093-0-66430200-1368347129_thumb.jpg

A picture of the trooper driving to the first spot haha

post-22093-0-66430200-1368347129_thumb.jpg

Thanks for reading

Too funny mate , well done getting the wife to the ramp at that hour 1stly and well done on the change of strategy with the xraps ,ahhgg the life of a decky which it sounds like you were , but those few hrs that you spent with your No1 will give you soooo many points towards further trips , but having said that i do enjoy seeing my wife drag a fish in and it's almost as good as getting one boated yourself well done on your getting her out on the water you may find you now have a new fishing partner for those early starts champ !!!

like i say to everyone on this site get a camera and video your experiences even if it's on your phone " tight lines "

rgds Mark "flickinlures"

I tried to take the missus out fishing once, I caught a good table sized flatty and gave it a donk on the head to put it out of it's misery nice and quickly, a few minutes later it gave a few little nerve twitches at which point she started to cry thinking it was still alive and slowly dying in my bag... I assured her it was well dead but nothing I could say could convince her. She started having a teary moment and I have not been able to get her out for another. She loves to eat fish but can't handle the dying process. So now she doesn't mind me going fishing and bringing home some fish but she refuses to be witness to the actual killing itself. Not sure if it is for better or worse hehe.

Great effort kizza! Taking the mrs fishing can be a great experience in itself. Glad to see she was a real trouper and hung in there!

My mrs is similar to Jew stalkers, she loves catching them but hates the sound of me dispatching them quickly. She's getting better but still can't get her to gut a fish, lol. But she is now putting her own bait on!

Cheers scratchie!!!

You have done very well there mate. And a top result getting the young lady into it. My missus, bless her is definitely a fair weather fisho and no cold early starts for her. The upside of that is she understands why my boat is for fishing fishing and more fishing, not pleasure boating!