New snapper sub-species

DerekD

When fishing the other week my fishing buddy hooked and landed the Snapper shown in the attached photos....

We realised there was something a little different about this one.... After some further inspection we worked out that we'd found a sub-species in the snapper family. Awesome!!!

There are a couple of questions which have since come to mind which the Fishraider community may be able to help with....

What would be the latin name - Pagrus (or Chrysophyrus) auratus tailless (or darrenus after the angler)?

Since it has a more aerodynamic (or should that be hydrodynamic) shape how much faster would it swim than a normal snapper?

What would be the legal length and where do you measure it to.....? :mfr_lol:

Help with this would be appreciated and please keep it un-serious....

For the record it was released.

post-8506-0-11178500-1368412080_thumb.jpg

post-8506-0-45665100-1368412086_thumb.jpg

Mate, it looks like the snapper are beginning to hybridise with squid and thus, are starting to gain a more streamlined shape for jet propulsion. They work a bit different though, they suck water in through the mouth and force it out through their anus.

Were you fishing in the Hacking? I caught a little reddie a couple of months back up South West Arm that had its tail bitten off by something nasty. Glad to see that it's doing well!

Hi All,

I emailed Julian Pepperell the other day about this fish and directed him to this post. He's very interested and would like more details of when, where and how the fish were caught and any photos of this or other fish with similar injuries.

Hi All,

I emailed Julian Pepperell the other day about this fish and directed him to this post. He's very interested and would like more details of when, where and how the fish were caught and any photos of this or other fish with similar injuries.

Good call I thought of the same thing

Cheers Leo

Hello again,

This catch blew us away. It is amazing how life can adapt and make a go of it regardless of the challenges faced. In this case the snapper didn't really have a choice about it but I was impressed at how long this fish had lasted with what i would have expected was a fatal handicap for a fish.

We picked it up in Middle harbour amongst some moorings. We were fishing in about 10m of water and kept on getting snapper on freshly caught squid. The fight wasn't far off what you'd expect from a normal snapper of the same size (probably turned side on and used its mass and shape). Interesting thing is the way the injury had healed up so cleanly I suspect it was a birth defect rather than an injury. That is, you might have noticed that it healed to a smooth and sharp point in the photos rather than the stump that you'd expect if it had the tail bitten off.

I was really interested in how this fish managed to swim and how much longer it could have lived. I believe that it had reached a size in its life where it would have been safe from being attacked by most of the bread and butter species in that water system thus probably could have lived for years. On the other hand in the long term it might have reached a size where it could not have chased enough food down because of its handicap and died due to starvation.

It is certainly food for thought.