Runaway Rod At The Entrance

Stapo

Fishing the wall at The Entrance this morning with a few mates chasing Blackfish. Now one of my mates "Marvin" has a habit of leaving his rod on the ground and float in the water when he goes to his car etc.

Well today we were all donating our fish to him and while he was putting one in his keeper net his unmanned rod took off into the water.

A fish had taken his bait and his brand new rod was travelling straight out from the wall floating behind the fish.We all started casting our lines at it with no success, then suddenly it made a left hand turn and was travelling against the tide upstream at a great rate of knots.

At this stage we all started laughing, including Marvin because this rod was just motoring along in front of everybody on the wall.We were all wondering How big is this fish.

Finally we managed to hook up and retrieve the rod, every one crowded around as he wound in his float to see what he had caught, then up popped a Cormorant, it freed itself and flew away. We figure a fish took the rod first then the bird took the fish.

I've seen rods go in before but not travel upstream like this one. Marvin got his rod back got a nice feed of Blackfish and everyone was happy.

I suppose you really had to be there

Cheers Steve

Hehehe, perhaps now he will either back his drag right off or make sure the line isn't in the water when leaving it unattended. Lucky he got it back though, I have seen a couple of rods take off like that never to be seen again (never mine though touch wood). One of my friends lost a stradic doing exactly that, he was attending to another rod and didn't put his other one in a holder... He hasn't done it since I can assure you. We were in about 30m of water and it was never to be seen again.

Yes I have also fished with the great "Marvin" and yes as Stevo says he is prone to laying down his fishing rod and walking away to do something, quite often to get a coffee/coke/prawn net out of his car to give to someone - very generous person is "Marvin". This would have been a very funny moment for the boys on the wall.

Fishing the wall at The Entrance this morning with a few mates chasing Blackfish. Now one of my mates "Marvin" has a habit of leaving his rod on the ground and float in the water when he goes to his car etc.

Well today we were all donating our fish to him and while he was putting one in his keeper net his unmanned rod took off into the water.

A fish had taken his bait and his brand new rod was travelling straight out from the wall floating behind the fish.We all started casting our lines at it with no success, then suddenly it made a left hand turn and was travelling against the tide upstream at a great rate of knots.

At this stage we all started laughing, including Marvin because this rod was just motoring along in front of everybody on the wall.We were all wondering How big is this fish.

Finally we managed to hook up and retrieve the rod, every one crowded around as he wound in his float to see what he had caught, then up popped a Cormorant, it freed itself and flew away. We figure a fish took the rod first then the bird took the fish.

I've seen rods go in before but not travel upstream like this one. Marvin got his rod back got a nice feed of Blackfish and everyone was happy.

I suppose you really had to be there

Cheers Steve