Live bait tank question

The hole that you have on top, to empty the water out, attaches to a tube and points directly down and out back into the water.

Question: can you have that tube pointing up and then down into the water?

I guess its more of a physics question, would the pressure be enough to push the water up and out?

As long as the highest point is not above the top of your tank it should work if I understand your question right. In calm water your level should settle in the tank equal to the height of your overflow but if offshore in rougher water the sloshing around could cause overflow into the boat which could be an issue as well. Think of it in terms of the "S" bend in a toilet at home, that should explain what I mean.

Edited by boattart

Question: can you have that tube pointing up and then down into the water?

No.

The outlet is gravity feed , not pressure. As Boattart indicated , the hose must be lower than the outlet point in the tank.

Geoff

just installed one myself, the top outlet must flow downwards...unless you want to keep pumping the boat out :thumbdown: .....Tip, for those awkward installations, like mine, the routing of the drain was very tight bend, couldn't connect up without kinking the tube, so..... went to a verycheap car parts store and found a radiator hose that was the right shape when trimmed down. fitted and works a treat.... :yahoo: .

Guest Aussie007

TIH, are u having problems with your tank being lower than the hull or transom? this is how i done mine

post-3154-0-51229700-1369126631_thumb.jpg

I was going to use an eski (lower than the transom), but after seeing some nice tanks, I really want one of those!

Where can I get my hand on one of those nice white ones? I've tried looking at a few online places, no luck.

I would probably prefer to get one which already has premade holes for the pipes, as I don't trust myself making it - last thing I want is to flood my boat!

Guest Aussie007

I was going to use an eski (lower than the transom), but after seeing some nice tanks, I really want one of those!

Where can I get my hand on one of those nice white ones? I've tried looking at a few online places, no luck.

I would probably prefer to get one which already has premade holes for the pipes, as I don't trust myself making it - last thing I want is to flood my boat!

hey mate google "live bait tank" heaps of searches come up on DIY and new tanks, u can use a milk crate to prop up the tank just cut the bottom of the milk crate if its to high

Guest Aussie007

Another question, when draining the live well, we drain it into our boat?

i have a alloy boat with uncoated plywood floor i do have a layer of vinyl overm y floor but i empty the bait tank into a 10L bucket than pour ito ver the side only takes 3 buckets to empty

Another question, when draining the live well, we drain it into our boat?

Depending on how you set up the tank , the floor layout etc , when back at the ramp , it would be OK to drain onto the floor then out the bung hole.

The other option is to have the drain plug in the bottom of the tank with a hose feeding out through the lower part of the transom.

These photo's may be of interest however they do not actually show the drain.

post-731-0-17937700-1369433139_thumb.jpg

post-731-0-41621400-1369433207_thumb.jpg

The other option is to combine the drain with the outlet

post-731-0-54378300-1369433362_thumb.jpg

The orange pipe simply pulls out to allow the water to drain.

The advantage of this system is , only one hole is required in the transom

Geoff

• 8 months later...

Depending on how you set up the tank , the floor layout etc , when back at the ramp , it would be OK to drain onto the floor then out the bung hole.

The other option is to have the drain plug in the bottom of the tank with a hose feeding out through the lower part of the transom.

These photo's may be of interest however they do not actually show the drain.

attachicon.gifPicture 132.jpg

attachicon.gifPicture 133.jpg

The other option is to combine the drain with the outlet

attachicon.gifLBT with drain extension.jpg

The orange pipe simply pulls out to allow the water to drain.

The advantage of this system is , only one hole is required in the transom

Geoff

Hi Geoff,

Where did you get the LBT in the 3rd photo?

And do you have its dimensions?

Cheers.

Hi Geoff,

Where did you get the LBT in the 3rd photo?

And do you have its dimensions?

Cheers.

The LBT came with the boat. It was fabricated & fitted by the boat manufacture , ie not an of the shelf product.

If your looking for an off the shelf tank there are heaps to see when surfing the web

The size is a lot larger than the photo suggests ,

Length 450mm

Width 280mm

Depth 300mm

If filled to the top , the tank holds approx 37lt (8 galloms) of water. The orange pipe is approx 200mm which I find is sufficent to keep 6 - 8 yakkers & perhaps the occusional slimy alive via a 360 Rule pump.

If it's the overflow / outlet your interested in , it's a basic skin fitting with a piece of electrical condute.

This can be fitted to any tank provided there is space under the tank.

Here is a photo of the underside of the tank , the outlet is the short black hose on the left.

post-731-0-27023900-1392631780_thumb.jpg

Geoff

The first LBT that I put in a boat had an overflow pipe the same ID as the inlet with the result that the tank overflowed as soon as it filled up using either the LBT pump or the pick up pipe. That is, the incoming volume of water fed in under pressure from the pump or pick up was greater than the volume getting out through the overflow which has no pressure to push it out. It's no fun having the LBT overflow into the boat.

Since then I have always fitted an outlet that is larger than the inlet.

Cheers

Paikea

I hear ya Paikea, mine still overflows at full throttle though.

There are two main problems with outlets.

1. As Paikea said , the outlet is too small to remove the water using just gravity.

2. The outlet is too high

In your case , if the size or height cannot be changed then install a smaller pump or fit a tap on the in pipe to control the water flow.

Geoff

In your case , if the size or height cannot be changed then install a smaller pump or fit a tap on the in pipe to control the water flow.

Geoff

I have also fitted an in line tap in my latest set up. Works well.

Re the outlet being too high I would have thought that this should not have any bearing on the size of the overflow. That is, if it is too small then no matter at what level you locate the overflow it will still run over the top of the tank.

Cheers

Paikea.

Re the outlet being too high I would have thought that this should not have any bearing on the size of the overflow. That is, if it is too small then no matter at what level you locate the overflow it will still run over the top of the tank.

Cheers

Paikea.

Generally speaking , your correct. Having extra space between the overflow & the top of the tank just provides a bit of safety margin but does not fix the problem.

Smaller pump , inline tap or large outlet . preferably the latter is the correct set up.

Geoff