Scored my 1st Mulloway!

SMn

Congrats &well done Mate. Don't forget to remove the jewels from its head.

Definitely mate, will be making Tom Yum soup with the head, collar and backbone. Not wasting a gram! Hahaha...

Well done mate...u finally caught one...now...u will b hooked even more...congrats...all that effort finally paid off n its all worth it...

Hahaha yeh mate all that effort and I reckon I'll need to double it to get a bigger one through winter... as you say hooked even more!!! Thanks for your advice in previous posts mate.

No worries mate...always happy to help out n give advice when i can...goodluck on your next session...hope u can crack d meter mark...im still waiting to catch my 1st legal one...need to put more time in i think...only if d boss will allow it...lol

No worries mate...always happy to help out n give advice when i can...goodluck on your next session...hope u can crack d meter mark...im still waiting to catch my 1st legal one...need to put more time in i think...only if d boss will allow it...lol

Hahaha once the boss tastes that 1st fresh caught one you'll have a free pass I reckon! Yep the hours are definitely going to count, I'm preparing for a long cold winter on the beach and now looking forward to every minute! Good luck with it mate be sure to post when you land your beast!

Hahaha once the boss tastes that 1st fresh caught one you'll have a free pass I reckon! Yep the hours are definitely going to count, I'm preparing for a long cold winter on the beach and now looking forward to every minute! Good luck with it mate be sure to post when you land your beast!

Thanks mate...gonna try my luck this coming long weekend...gonna b on d boat so might get a better chance...

Where to begin?!? Hahaha...

Set myself a goal around Christmas time to catch a jewie this year and just scored my 1st one tonight off the beach! Measured up at 71cm and weighed around 4kgs! Unbelievable! Still fist pumping every 10 minutes or so and the wifes already sick of me talking constantly about it... hahaha...

So have been seriously targeting these fish for a few months and have pretty much thought of nothing else. Received lots of great advice from fellow raiders on this site, you're all a bunch of bl00dy legends and champions!

With the full moon and good tides falling this weekend I thought it's as good a time as any to have a crack. Went down Friday arvo and the surf was huge with a howling wind. The few people that walked past must have thought I was crazy, I did to until I scored a staunch sambo on a squid and 6/0 designated hopefully for a jew. The salmon was 60cms and put up a brilliant fight coming through the surf.

attachicon.gif20130525_112758.jpg

Nothing after that, apart from my bag being swamped and the fish almost washed back out to sea when a boomer took me by suprise as I was bleeding fish... almost became a very expensive salmon indeed... headed home about 1hr after.

Headed back down the beach again this arvo about 4pm. Packed a lot lighter than the previous arvo, taking only the Butterworth, Alvey 650a5, knife, bait bucket and rod bucket on my belt. Had 6kg line on the Alvey with a 60lb trace and a snelled 6/0 and snelled 2/0 as a stinger. Whole squid (Cali squid in the blue box) and a few pillies as backup. Spent an hour stretching the line and the arms on bl00dy seaweed, was using a paternoster setup but was getting caught up with weed almost instantly. Was butchering the rig to use as a running rig when a suprise visit from the missus and kids raised the competency stakes a little... hahaha...

attachicon.gifimage-2.jpeg

So I finished the hack job on the rig, 60lb line can be a b@stard to cut with a knife! Baited up with a juicy squid and cast back out. Followed the current up the beach a bit and felt a twitch on the line, 1st thought was seaweed, but line started to peel off so I let run just feathered the spool a bit. The line stopped then a second later took off again. A quick wind and I lent into the rod and rewarded by head shakes, thought another stonker sambo. I start playing the fish as the swell as still large, plenty of little head shakes but no leaping out of the water to throw hooks. It struck me this might actually be it! I kept winding but while there was weight on the line there seemed little fight. At the shore was certain I had been duped by seaweed, when zzzzzzzz! Solid run right at the break, winding backwards on the alvey so as not to snap the line, had to let go and palm the spool a couple of times as the suck back from the shorebreak was intense. Finally had the most beautiful fish I have ever caught on the beach, I was gob smacked, didn't know what to do. Next minute I was screaming for a camera and making all kinds of sounds! Here it is...

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

attachicon.gifimage-3.jpeg

Just incredible! So stoked! Thanks for all your help guys! Thought once I'd caught one I'd lose the fever... no chance! Now it has to be one over 1m... can't think of anything else until I do... hahaha...

Cheers!

Phil.

Where to begin?!? Hahaha...

Set myself a goal around Christmas time to catch a jewie this year and just scored my 1st one tonight off the beach! Measured up at 71cm and weighed around 4kgs! Unbelievable! Still fist pumping every 10 minutes or so and the wifes already sick of me talking constantly about it... hahaha...

So have been seriously targeting these fish for a few months and have pretty much thought of nothing else. Received lots of great advice from fellow raiders on this site, you're all a bunch of bl00dy legends and champions!

With the full moon and good tides falling this weekend I thought it's as good a time as any to have a crack. Went down Friday arvo and the surf was huge with a howling wind. The few people that walked past must have thought I was crazy, I did to until I scored a staunch sambo on a squid and 6/0 designated hopefully for a jew. The salmon was 60cms and put up a brilliant fight coming through the surf.

attachicon.gif20130525_112758.jpg

Nothing after that, apart from my bag being swamped and the fish almost washed back out to sea when a boomer took me by suprise as I was bleeding fish... almost became a very expensive salmon indeed... headed home about 1hr after.

Headed back down the beach again this arvo about 4pm. Packed a lot lighter than the previous arvo, taking only the Butterworth, Alvey 650a5, knife, bait bucket and rod bucket on my belt. Had 6kg line on the Alvey with a 60lb trace and a snelled 6/0 and snelled 2/0 as a stinger. Whole squid (Cali squid in the blue box) and a few pillies as backup. Spent an hour stretching the line and the arms on bl00dy seaweed, was using a paternoster setup but was getting caught up with weed almost instantly. Was butchering the rig to use as a running rig when a suprise visit from the missus and kids raised the competency stakes a little... hahaha...

attachicon.gifimage-2.jpeg

So I finished the hack job on the rig, 60lb line can be a b@stard to cut with a knife! Baited up with a juicy squid and cast back out. Followed the current up the beach a bit and felt a twitch on the line, 1st thought was seaweed, but line started to peel off so I let run just feathered the spool a bit. The line stopped then a second later took off again. A quick wind and I lent into the rod and rewarded by head shakes, thought another stonker sambo. I start playing the fish as the swell as still large, plenty of little head shakes but no leaping out of the water to throw hooks. It struck me this might actually be it! I kept winding but while there was weight on the line there seemed little fight. At the shore was certain I had been duped by seaweed, when zzzzzzzz! Solid run right at the break, winding backwards on the alvey so as not to snap the line, had to let go and palm the spool a couple of times as the suck back from the shorebreak was intense. Finally had the most beautiful fish I have ever caught on the beach, I was gob smacked, didn't know what to do. Next minute I was screaming for a camera and making all kinds of sounds! Here it is...

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

attachicon.gifimage-3.jpeg

Just incredible! So stoked! Thanks for all your help guys! Thought once I'd caught one I'd lose the fever... no chance! Now it has to be one over 1m... can't think of anything else until I do... hahaha...

Cheers!

Phil.

Nice work mate...they are special off the suds.

S.

Thanks mate...gonna try my luck this coming long weekend...gonna b on d boat so might get a better chance...

Best of luck mate hopefully you bag a winner on the weekend!