The Hacking Hotbite 26/05/2013

dwan8337

Hi Raiders,

Morning coincided with a good tide so decided to hit the hacking again with Adrian and Shen despite the rain during the past week. Read that if the water gets murky there's a line between where the big boys use that to hunt in or just switch off the bite, so we were eager to find out. Launched the boat at 5:30 motored towards Gymea to look for any bait fish on the surface. Not much action here so headed towards Lilli Pilli. Found a cove with some pilchards hanging around so we anchored up and sent the burley out. Loaded up on Pilchards and yakkas sent two live baits down; one just off the bottom and one mid water. By sunrise there was still nothing substantial except some good sized Trevally that found their way into the burley trail. On the turn of the tide, as I was burleying i saw a yellow tail swim through the trail and I yelled at Shen to wind up the livie rod and pass it over to the back. Thought if i dropped it in the trail, the kingy might come back around for another look. Boy was i wrong.....

Literally as the yakka hit the water, a kingy literally jumped out of the water from underneath the boat, swallowed the yakka in one go without even thinking about sizing it up first. I had no idea what was happening even though i saw the take, still thinking it was a god strengh yakka that was pulling the drag....

Adrian unhitched the boat and motored out to deeper water and from there it was relatively easy. Measuring 90cm, this was our biggest fish of the season. Hi-5's all round, we anchored up on the spot again and reset. As we ran out of live bait, we started cubing into the burley trail and managed to land 6 Watson's bonito. Every bonito we reeled in a key-ring kingfish followed it up so we'd keep the bonito in the water and hook up to the kingfish sitting underneath it before bringing it in. It was like working in a factory :clapping: obviously non of the smaller specimens were kept but they were mad fun on Shen's 1000-sized setup. As they boys landed more fish, they got cockier and cockier. The leader went from 10lb to 6lb to 4lb progressively hahaha......The action died arounds midday so we packed up and called it a day.

The fish Adrian's holding up was a sample of the key-ring kingfish schooled up under the boat.

Sweet post Dave! Forgot to mention the annoying tailor (20-30cm) that were chomping our live pillies at first light! ><

Fellow raiders, I put Dave up to the 2lb Kingy challenge...

Adrian

Mate awesome report, I went after we spoke last time on ur previous king report, no luck couldn't find a promising location, any chance you PM a pin point location or even a map buddy

Ok here's a question for you what do u use to stir up the bait schools and kings eventually... Got the bait schools happening yesterday but no kings show up just a small bonito

I dont have any experience in the hacking, but when i see bait schools bust us when fishing for kingies, i use a sinking stick bait or soft plastic. i have found the kings are below the bonnies and salmon - again this is just my experience when fishing for them. What lures are you using in the bait balls? metals? let them sink

I dont have any experience in the hacking, but when i see bait schools bust us when fishing for kingies, i use a sinking stick bait or soft plastic. i have found the kings are below the bonnies and salmon - again this is just my experience when fishing for them. What lures are you using in the bait balls? metals? let them sink

Yeh I caught the Bonnie but was there for a while nothing hit using soft plastics on a jig head, the thing is I didn't get anything on sounder but could be anywhere in the water I guess..... Might try adding weight to the jig head to help it down faster and guarantee it o the bottom

Lol was that you who asked if we were on fishradier????? Is that when you did the pass around the shore and left???? Did u end up coming back??? If so why the hell didn't you yell out, there over here before u left champ lol!!!! Not surprised the current was taking my burly in that direction going out there this arvo for another sesh have been think long and hard of new plans of attack hopefully will have a post tonight with my own version of a 90cm donkey lol

Lol was that you who asked if we were on fishradier????? Is that when you did the pass around the shore and left???? Did u end up coming back??? If so why the hell didn't you yell out, there over here before u left champ lol!!!! Not surprised the current was taking my burly in that direction going out there this arvo for another sesh have been think long and hard of new plans of attack hopefully will have a post tonight with my own version of a 90cm donkey lol

Haha we trolled a different spot then came back for a second go and we were on.

Dont worry the size was nothing to write home about.

Haha we trolled a different spot then came back for a second go and we were on.

Dont worry the size was nothing to write home about.

Oh Sweet at least there around there, How many did you pick up and what did they take for bait??