C & R permitted during Ep/ Bass closed season.

matt17

Thoughts on this one?

Last month Fisheries changed the rule regarding bass and perch closed season. It is now legal to fish for them however only strictly catch and release as it is obviously their spawning period. What do you think? I think that there are so many that shoot around during this time of year and guys can catch up to 30 fish if not more in one session. Surely hooking a fish and taking it from the water would delay it's spawning process from shock.

Just wanted to hear other people's opinion on this one.

here's the link
http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0013/202351/NSW_FWG_2013.pdf

Page 62

cheers,

Matty :)

Edited by matt17

I think its a good idea never to hammer a school of bass but at least now it clears up the rules regarding them as bycatch while flicking for bream

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Tapatalk 2

As far as i'm concerned this is a good thing. CnR is basically all i do anyway... As Ben said, as long as you don't hammer the school there's nothing wrong with catching a couple followed by a quick release. The closed season has always been somewhat of a "loop hole" in the laws as one can target the subject of the closed season and claim to be chasing another species. Having said that it's up to us as rec anglers to look after our resources if we want them to be there in the future. Anyway, thanks for letting us know matt!

Cheers, Tom

"

DPI Director of Fisheries Compliance, Glenn Tritton, said any Australian bass or estuary perch caught in rivers during the closure must be returned to the water immediately with the least possible harm.

“The zero bag limit does not close any waters to fishing and does not affect anglers fishing for other estuary species, such as bream or flathead,” Mr Tritton said.

“Fisheries officers will target fishers illegally retaining Australian bass or estuary perch during the three month closure.

“Anyone caught retaining Australian bass or estuary perch will be issued with a penalty notice or in more serious matters will face local court.”

Admin[/quote

I mostly C&R too but never keep bass and ep's. I usually keep many of my fish in my live well before releasing later in the day or keeping a flatty or 2 and releasing the rest. I'm guessing if I did that with EP's I could be in strife if fisheries came by?

I usually keep many of my fish in my live well before releasing later in the day or keeping a flatty or 2 and releasing the rest. I'm guessing if I did that with EP's I could be in strife if fisheries came by?

You would be in strife, as you have them in your possession, that is, not immediately returned to the water.

Nothing new here as far as I can see? This ' C&R during closed season' issue has been around for several years. This is a link to a post I did in 2009:

Bass and EP closure

This subject caused quite a stir on the forum back then so I visited Fisheries to confirm the rule. They also stated that there was no scientific evidence available that confirmed these species would not spawn if they had been caught and released with minimal handling. They cannot spawn in enclosed waters hence the exception to the rule.

Cheers

Hodgey

Obviously, taking a spawn-ready female from the bed will, if she dies, reduce the numbers of young EP's produced. But EP's produce thousands of spawn every year, leaving the surplus millions of juvenile fish to become food for other species – so numbers aren’t an issue. Further research has shown that if a big female hasn't spawned yet and is released in good shape, then it is likely she will spawn.

Bit of info, so if you catch one, release it immediately and do minimal damage removing hook, the longer the fish is out of water the less chance it will spawn due to lack of oxygen apparently.

Nothing new here as far as I can see? This ' C&R during closed season' issue has been around for several years. This is a link to a post I did in 2009:

Bass and EP closure

This subject caused quite a stir on the forum back then so I visited Fisheries to confirm the rule. They also stated that there was no scientific evidence available that confirmed these species would not spawn if they had been caught and released with minimal handling. They cannot spawn in enclosed waters hence the exception to the rule.

Cheers

Hodgey

I thought that as well Hodgy but they have included a new rule in their regulations last month stating that catch and release fishing for bass and perch is permitted