2 PB's, 2 species, One more than double the previous.

Jew Stalker

Several days ago I went to Thommo's to try and catch a trout or two. When I pulled up in the car park I met up with a friendly gentleman who I got to chatting to about trout fishing, dams, streams and all things trout related. This gentleman was a complete treasure trove of information. I ended up walking around the dam with him soaking up every bit of info that he offered. It seemed to pay off... For him. I watched as he pulled in two stonker trout using different techniques which seemed to do the trick.

Armed with all of the info from this kind gent I returned a couple of days later to Lake Lyell armed with more knowledge and an extra couple of lures which worked for my friend the previous day.

Although it was a different lake I have another friend who informed me of a place where very few people fish and where the fish like to hang out. It turned out to be an awesome tip. I got to the spot and had a little look around. From the edge it looked like every other bit of the lake but my buddy knew what was there which made it different and although I could not see it I trusted his advice. I was there for about an hour when the first fish took my lure, it was a little rainbow around 35cm (which beat my previous impoundment PB by about 5cm) which was happy to get back into the water. I was quite pleased, my effort was rewarded relatively early on. I went for a bit of a wander around to let the area settle for a little while but did not come across anything for about another hour or so until I returned to the same spot. I changed my lure over to a larger J-7. I was dubious about this lure as it is quite large but the gent I was with the day before used a 70mm minnow successfully to pull in a great brown and bow. He said that because of the time of year and the mode that the fish were in they saw the larger lure as an intruder and they will strike out of pure aggression. Also what came to mind was big bait = big fish.

Very soon after the change over I found myself hooked onto something large. After a couple of minutes I beached a 57cm brown trout which beat my previous brown trout PB by 3cm and about a kilo. It was one fat brown. Unfortunately I did not get the weight of it but it could not have been far off 6lb. I took a couple of pics and let her go back into the water. I kept flicking around for a couple of more hours but for no luck.

The sun was getting low and I was starting to get a bit tired so I made the call to walk back to where I got the first two and to give it another 15-20 minutes and then it was time to pack up and head off home back up the mountain. I am glad I did because just before I started to pack up I felt something good strike my lure. It felt even more powerful than the brown which I caught a couple of hours earlier and was not as easy to pull in. I called it for another big brown as there was no aerial activity only strong little runs but the fish wasn't happy about coming close to the shore. I was getting a bit worried as I had no net with me and this fish didn't feel like it was going to beach easily. All I could do was give it a little room to move whilst keeping a little tension on to wear it out a bit for an easier catch. It felt like forever with this fish on the end of the line and was quite an adrenaline rush. I don't think it was a minute over 5 minutes but it felt like an eternity. I would get it close and it would just keep turning around and refuse to come in. I saw colour about 4 or 5 times before it quickly darted back off into the deeper sections. I was starting to think that this fish was determined not to come in but I was just as determined to see this fish in my hands. I figured it would have to run out of energy at some point so I kept my cool and persisted in my fight. Thankfully there was not much around which it could break me off on so easy does it was definitely the key. After one hell of a fight on ultra light gear (4lb power pro and 6lb leader loaded on a 3000 FJ Stradic on 2-4kg T-curve) I finally beached one very worn out huuuuuuuge rainbow trout. My heart was pumping, the adrenaline surging, and the overwhelming feeling of joy mixed with a dose of amazement at the humungus fish which was laying exhausted in front of me. This fish was far and away the biggest trout I have ever caught. I was absolutely stoked... If anyone was around they would have seen me fist pumping and jumping around like someone who had just found out they had won lotto. I ended up taking this fish home as I wanted to show my girl this amazing fish and to give it a measure on a brag mat which my neighbour (Diesel from fishraider) who lives across the road has. It ended up coming up at a smashing 63cm long and about as round.

I could not believe that there were fish like this in Lyell but the proof was right in front of me. I daresay this is one PB which I am not going to beat for quite a while.

Thanks for reading and keep those reels squealing.

post-22055-0-36247900-1370874446_thumb.jpg

post-22055-0-45737700-1370874465_thumb.jpg

post-22055-0-03290900-1370874494_thumb.jpg

Good job Mate, never had a lot of success at Lyell.

To get two crackers like that is well deserving I think for Lyell, especially from the bank!

What did the big Rainbow go in weight, I reckon it looks close to 8lb.

Edited by foolforjesus

Good days fishing there mate,

well done.

As i was reading about when the 3rd fish was on im thinking hes got himself a big rainbow on here. lol.

Dont they fight hard,

i love catching the big bows they usually go berserk, they dont seem to jump like the little ones do as much and alot of the time during the fight you think youre onto a massive brown.

great fish mate and seems like youre mate put you onto the gun spot so good on him too.

seeya up the lakes oneday.

Guest hawkesbass

Cracker fish luc well done you did better than royce and me on closing weekend

Edited by hawkesbass

Awsome fish,bet your still on a high landing that beauty .

The trout from lake lyle are very nice eating too, they don,t seem to have that muddy taste through the flesh like oberon and other dams.

How many times you go fishing and seem to land the catch of the day as your first or last fish,maybe sun up and sun down is best chance of a trophy fish. B)

Chris.

Great report luc. That's a cracking fish from lake Lyell. You deserve it from the efforts you put in. Congrats on a new possible raider record too!

Cheers scratchie!!!

Cheers bud, A bit of effort has gone into it. I feel good though to be rewarded for it. :)

Good job Mate, never had a lot of success at Lyell.

To get two crackers like that is well deserving I think for Lyell, especially from the bank!

What did the big Rainbow go in weight, I reckon it looks close to 8lb.

Thanks Chris, I do believe it went about 6lb.

awesome fish luc! and well done on your PB's. we should go out for a session soon mate, bring the pugs along hahaha. we are noy buying another one also.

Anytime Stan. Just say when.

P.S

I think your pug will be much happier. ;)

Good days fishing there mate,

well done.

As i was reading about when the 3rd fish was on im thinking hes got himself a big rainbow on here. lol.

Dont they fight hard,

i love catching the big bows they usually go berserk, they dont seem to jump like the little ones do as much and alot of the time during the fight you think youre onto a massive brown.

great fish mate and seems like your mate put you onto the gun spot so good on him too.

seeya up the lakes oneday.

It fought like a champion, it was the best fight I have ever had in fresh water.

I'm sure I will catch you sometime up there, I can't seem to stay away. It is much harder than the salt but I think it makes it that little bit more worth it.

I think I need to change my screen name to Trout Stalker hehe.

Cracker fish luc well done you did better than royce on closing weekend

How did you guys go on the stream? Did you see much around?

I went up the Coxs on Sunday with a couple of the guys, we walked for about 10kms of the stream for a few follows and sightings but no hookups, we them went over to Thommo's for the arvo and pretty much repeated the mornings efforts with a few follows but no hookups. I think the weekend just shut down everywhere.

That's some nice fat rainbow and brown you got there Luc, well deserved for your efforts . :drunk:

Thanks Killer, I am still stoked by it. It makes all of the empty trips worth it I think.

Awsome fish,bet your still on a high landing that beauty .

The trout from lake lyle are very nice eating too, they don,t seem to have that muddy taste through the flesh like oberon and other dams.

How many times you go fishing and seem to land the catch of the day as your first or last fish,maybe sun up and sun down is best chance of a trophy fish. B)

Chris.

Oh yeah, still psyched. I cooked up the bow that night and it was absolutely delicious. One of the best fish I had ever tasted.

The arvo's have been much more productive, most fish I have caught have been between 9 and 11am and late afternoon. They are a difficult fish to nut their habits out.

Congratulations on your ripping PBs :thumbup::thumbup:

Wonderful report too, so descriptive and action packed!

I bet your heart is still pumping hard after that epic effort.

Nicely done.

Ian

Thanks Ian. If you had of seen me you would have had a good giggle at me. I was psyched, especially after seeing the fellow at TCD pull in the large ones then pretty much replicated it with slightly smaller fish a day later. He told me I saw his best day fishing so I am thinking I am doing pretty well.

Awesome report. I've fished Lyell and caught a couple of fish but nothing even close to that. Will have to get back up to the mountains again soon.

Thanks Cubist, Well at least now you know that there are some big guns in there. Finding them is the hardest part I think.

Trout stalker , I was wondering when you were going to post those two bad boys, I've been biting my tounge for days, I should have taken more pics with a better camera, no actually should have got them stuffed they are fish of a lifetime, mate you have put in the hours well done.

P.s lure shopping online ATM ?

Guest hawkesbass

Ah did no good spotted three fish and river was running brown thats the way it goes some days

Trout stalker , I was wondering when you were going to post those two bad boys, I've been biting my tounge for days, I should have taken more pics with a better camera, no actually should have got them stuffed they are fish of a lifetime, mate you have put in the hours well done.

P.s lure shopping online ATM

Thanks bud, I couldn't help but show you prior to our trip. I just hadn't had much of a chance to post the report. The family takes most of my time and the missus usually beats me to the puter hehe. I think the first 10 pounder I come across will definitely be the first mount on my wall. ;) I should probably start saving for the taxidermist. It is only a matter of time!

Awesome Trout there Luc and congratulations.

Cheers Stewy

Thanks Stewy! Much obliged.

Ah did no good spotted three fish and river was running brown thats the way it goes some days

It happens like that sometimes. Lets hope over winter we get a few good rains to flush the rivers in prep for the reopening.

I'm gunna do a Phil Gould ok Luc " WOW"

Thanks Mark, I have to say that word passed through my lips a few times too... I wasn't expecting what I got.

So was it the j5 that didi the damage again!!!! Well done mate I'll be up on the 23rd!!!!

Thank you sir. That was actually a J-7, I bought one after seeing the 70mm lures working a treat by a fellow I met a day or so earlier. They are a gun lure!

If you are keen for some company I would love to join in.

• 3 weeks later...

That rainbow is a real beauty mate ... Old male rainbow ! That is an amazing catch, well done.

Cheers T.C. It is one I wont soon forget.

Terrific, congratulations.

Thanks Harold. :)

That was a great wet Saturday morning read! Congrats on a stupendous fish and what should be a long serving record!

It made for a great days fishing also even though the conditions were quite adverse. The wind was howling from the south west, there was a constant drizzle on and it was slippery and cold. All of that didn't matter though when the fish came up on the beach :) I was suddenly toasty warm, full of adrenaline and excitement. It really turned a crappy day into a tremendous one.

Thanks Jenno.

Good catch mate, im amazed how big these rainbow trouts grow, and good on that bloke who you met and gave you the tips ....well done

Tight lines!, Shakeel

They do get quite large. Especially in the dams. Thanks Shakeel. Good luck in the COTM with your cracker Jewie.