maritime officers at ramps

matyg

just wondering if any other fishos have seen this,

went down to nepean river yesterday mostly to give the boat a run but had a troll while we were out in there, we got there about 10am and a maritime officer turned up with a little bass boat, we were only on the water for an hour or so and when we got back to the ramp, maritime was still there with a dry boat just making his presence known. Im all for maritime being out and about. but the funny part was, there were a few boats at the ramp who were doing the usual stupid things you see like one guy holding his boat at the edge of the ramp for his mate to park the car instead of moving to the side and letting someone else back a trailer in. the maritime officer didn't say a word.

are they supposed to help the ramp process while they are there or is it their job just to check licences and safety equipment?

just wondering if any other fishos have seen this,

went down to nepean river yesterday mostly to give the boat a run but had a troll while we were out in there, we got there about 10am and a maritime officer turned up with a little bass boat, we were only on the water for an hour or so and when we got back to the ramp, maritime was still there with a dry boat just making his presence known. Im all for maritime being out and about. but the funny part was, there were a few boats at the ramp who were doing the usual stupid things you see like one guy holding his boat at the edge of the ramp for his mate to park the car instead of moving to the side and letting someone else back a trailer in. the maritime officer didn't say a word.

are they supposed to help the ramp process while they are there or is it their job just to check licences and safety equipment?

The person holding the boat might not have a boat licence or car licence for that matter, so enforcing a rule like that is nearly impossible... Just call it a pet hate ;)

Fishingphase

I was at parsley bay two weeks ago and the water police were there checking everyone's, boat rego, motor no. Licenses, everything!

It was great to see, especially after having a mate have his boat stolen recently. He got it back, minus everything. So it's great to see some policing of our waterways! Maybe they've been reading a few comments on raider!

Cheers scratchie!!!

Is there a number we can call to snitch on people fishing for undersized fish?

nearly everywhere i go land based, i see hoards of people using floats catching bream and taylor the size of fish fingers and keeping them. they arent even shy about it. I am so sick of it. plus they litter everywhere throw durries in the water etc.

OK rant over, but seriously is there a number we can call and report it? One night i googled it off my phone and could only find a link to fisheries melbourne.

nearly everywhere i go land based, i see hoards of people using floats catching bream and taylor the size of fish fingers and keeping them. they arent even shy about it. I am so sick of it. plus they litter everywhere throw durries in the water etc.

OK rant over, but seriously is there a number we can call and report it? One night i googled it off my phone and could only find a link to fisheries melbourne.

+1

$250 fine per fish should drum it into them.

Fishingphase

G'day predator

The fishers watch line

1800 043 536

On this number you can leave a message so they can "get back to you."

Apparently it used to go through to actual fisheries officers which would be great to see again.

Cheers Leo

G'day predator

The fishers watch line

1800 043 536

Apparently it used to go through to actual fisheries officers which would be great to see again.

Cheers Leo

Yes it does. My Uncle is a Fisheries Officer (here in Vic) and they maintain a roster manning a similar number. They respond to as many calls as they can and often provide the caller with feedback. It's a great initiative and one that I have had first-hand experience with regarding a fisho who was 'poaching' in our local waters in NSW.

Any assistance we can provide to assist them with policing their often expansive areas will be appreciated.

Cheers

Hodgey

G'day predator

The fishers watch line

1800 043 536

Cheers Leo

Yes it does. My Uncle is a Fisheries Officer (here in Vic) and they maintain a roster manning a similar number. They respond to as many calls as they can and often provide the caller with feedback. It's a great initiative and one that I have had first-hand experience with regarding a fisho who was 'poaching' in our local waters in NSW.

Any assistance we can provide to assist them with policing their often expansive areas will be appreciated.

Cheers

Hodgey

There you go, that's good to hear. I've called a few times, in regards to undersized fish, and will continue to, but haven't had a response. As with all useful government departments, they are doing all they can with the small amount of funds they receive.

Cheers Leo

I went out Saturday, and a very nice NSW Maritime officer made me notice that I went a tad over the 4 knots at the spit bridge. He said his duty today was to remind people who go to fast, then he saw a boat speeding on plane in the 4 knot zone, and said "like that one" and off he went with lights and horns. He is doing a great work.

I was at Sussex a few weeks back when there was a fisheries officer at the ramp. He was checking on peoples catch as they came in and licences as well. I thought it was great. We were all licenced - lucky as 2 mates are "once in a blue moon fishermen" and just got their licences that morning for a total cost of about $10.00. He told us the fine is $200.00 for unlicenced. Just as we were leaving the ramp he was having a right old barney with a couple of people who just came in.

I say " Keep up the good work"

Cheers

Here is a link to the post in Fisheries News and Politics that was pinned back in 2008 - let me know if any of the numbers have changed

http://www.fishraider.com.au/Invision/index.php?showtopic=29015

Photo or Video evidence is always useful in gaining a conviction , but do not under any circumstances post this information , on this site , or any other . Give the information to Fisheries , and let them handle it . They have the weight of the law behind them , you do not .
You may definately NOT post such information on this site. Fishraider is not a vigilante group , whilst we may disagree with some peoples fishing practices , legal or otherwise, identifying them on this site is neither condoned or permitted. Any breach of this rule will result in an immediate suspension of membership.