Batemans Bay Beginners

OhMyCod

Hello everyone.

My partner and I are keen novices and what we lack in experience we make up for with laughes. She only started fishing this year and had never been in a boat till I bought us a tinny a few months ago. (She is from Afghanistan - a place not exactly famous for it's beaches and seaside resorts!)

We have tested the waters around Batemans bay from Durras to Tuross with mixed results and a mixed bag of fish. We catch dozens of flatties averaging about one keeper to every 5 small ones.

We want to target larger fish and have no trouble collecting live bait but alas we have had zero success using the live bait to catch anything else.

We would love to get some tips or pointers from anyone willing to share their experience.

We try to get out most weekends in our 15hp 3.75m tinnie but we tend to be cautious and avoid bigger seas.

Even if you're not from the area please feel free to share any tips you may have.

If you help us catch a kingy we will name it after you!

And thankyou to all the contributors on this site. We are learning heaps from all that you share. I hope one day to be able to contribute what I have learned.

Best regards, Brian

Hi there Brian, you are a very lucky man, a woman that loves fishing as much as you do ,is every fishermans dream, and to top it all off what looks like a very nice person and absolute stunning, as for the kings, there are so many of them around these days you will pick them up drifitng, at anchor, or any way really, two things that will help you are, investing in a good balanced rod and reel, good quality line , perfect knots, and good guality hooks , stick to live baits , like yakkas, or like everyone else has said before, freshly caught squid, the other thing is burley when at anchor , bread in an onion bag to bring all the baitfish around, and they will in turn bring the predators , like kings and this time of the year john dories , as for how far in the water , i would have one live bait a metre above the bottom , and another half way up of the bottom, remember to have the drag loose and a large landing net good luck and ask more guestions if you want.

Kingfish have been caught in 15 - 20m south east of Broulee Is, just outside the sanctuary zone. If you have a sounder you will see a drop off as you head south, about 500m out from the island. I haven't been successful there, but I have had reports of kingfish around there. You can troll around the headland to the south of Broulee Is but watch out for shallow water. We have caught squid in that area, as well as yakkas and slimeys. You can also troll for salmon and tailor just off Mossy Point. Stay close in to the rocks (about 40m should be safe). On the northern side of the river entrance watch out for rocks coming to within 2m of the surface.

If you launch into the Moruya River, either at Brierly's ramp near the airport or at Preddy's wharf on the southern bank, there are some interesting reefs just off the heads and there are salmon and tailor close in around Toragy Point. From Brierly's ramp head straight across to the main channel on the southern side, but you may have to get out and wade if its near to low tide.

Hi ,

Sounds like your having some fun which is most important thing. I'm fishing this area at moment and can confirm kingies do exist but they aren't thick on the ground. Whilst its a great idea to try for them they aren't neccesarily the easiest of targets. They can be in one spot one day - and you can't find them the next. If you want to upsize your catch snapper may be an easier target. You may already be picking them up in your mixed bags - and there are plenty of how to's out there. i will point out a few advantages of aiming for "pinkies". 1. this is an excellent time of year for them - particularly shortly after this really bad weather dies down is prime time. 2 you can be really close to shore and pick them up in shallow (10m) of water 3 they are fun to catch 4 don't require live baits or gear thats heavy duty 5 kingies can turn up in a burley trail meant for snaper - keep an eye out and watch your fish as they come to surface - sometimes they follow up another fish.

If your picking up lots of flathead its probably a sandy bottom - better snapper fishing generally at edges of reefs - if your picking up red rock cod and seargant baker your closer to reef and hopefuly closer to snapper.

Alternatives to that to upsize catches are trolling a shallow diver round the headlands for salmon this time of year - they are fun and don't require speacilist gear. When you pick up one go back over the ground again as fair chance youve found a school. The other options mulloway in the clyde river or tuross - Can live bait, toss soft plastics or even troll, hardbodies - not the easiest of targets but does hsave the advantage that you can do it when the seas are up. Plenty of how tos out there or just head up to the corner of big island (downstream end right hand side as you head up ) and i'm sure sooner or later you'll see someone tossing big soft plastics for them its not exactly a secert spot. Watch them for a bit and copy.

best of luck