Roller/clutch bearing problems

Hi Raiders,

This weekend I took apart my Daiwa Tierra 4000 as it had become unusable due to a little bit of salt water this summer. It is a good reel and has suited me well but not worth what I can imagine it would cost to send back to Daiwa ( new the reel was $250) So I decided that I would completely strip it down and clean it all up with the help of Slinkys great post on the Daiwa sol.

When I finally managed to get into the area with the clutch/roller bearing it was really gunky so I sat it in white spirits for a bit to see if that would help. I have read in many posts that you should never mess with the roller bearing. I thought I would ask the forum what to do as I am currently a bit stuck. even after the soak in white spirits, the bearing was still really rough.

should I attempt to pull apart the bearing and does anyone have tips for this or does anyone have another solution?

I dont really want to send it off for a service now as it is too old and will cost too much. I am going to buy a new reel soon but out of sheer stubbornness I want to try get this one going again. I have thrown in this pic so you know what bearing I am talking about.

Cheers,

Dan

post-3058-0-76011100-1371389315_thumb.jpg

Guest mike2153

If you pull apart a roller bearing it will never ever go back together, if there is any corrosion on it rub some fine wet and dry through it (800 grit or so) maybe soak it in a bit of kersone and just keep on freeing up the rollers and get some lube into them.

If that bearing is gritty and cleaning it with spirits a brush and compressed air doesnt fix it then chuck it and order another one from Daiwa direct. They will post to you and your reel will be all good. From memory I think those bearings are pressed closed and taking it apart will ruin it.