Severely dunked Stradic 2500FH

brew24

I caught this reel and a nice rod while fishing in salt water at the beach. I believe it may have only been in the water for a day. I took it apart and cleaned it up including taking apart the clutch bearing because of sand. I believe I have the bearing back properly.

After reassembly it seemed to work ok but then tightened up. The anti reverse toggle doesn't move properly so it may not be in just right.

I didn't have proper lube and oil so just used what I had on hand, a light oil and a white grease.

I have nothing invested in this so am wondering what course of action I should take first.

Should I get another clutch bearing because it had sand in it? Is there another kind I can use in place of the stock one?

Thanks

brew24

Guest Aussie007

i pulled up a rod and reel from the hawkesbury river about 6-8 months ago it was covered in mud and barnicals i took it home gave it a clean and service than i used it a couple of fishing trips ago pulled up a kingy and salmon worked beautiful

have u taking the drag washers out to clean them in the top of the spool?

post-3154-0-22283800-1388285380_thumb.jpg

Guest Aussie007

u need to remove the handle and than remove the side cover on the reel if u have done so, it'll be filled with sand and that is probably what is getting stuck the sand between the gears stopping the gears from meshing properly

Edited by gazza

Guest Aussie007

ah ok so when u have the reel all apart do each moving part move as it should? im thinking u didnt put it back together properly and something is catching

what kind of reel is it? ill look up the parts diagram for u

G'day

You'll probably have to replace the rest of the bearings in the reel too, you'll never get all the salt out. At least soak them in white spirits for a few hours, pull them out and spin them and repeat until they are smooth

Cheers Leo

• 1 year later...

I love the idea of bringing a "lost" reel back to life, but the reality is you don't know how long it had been underwater so I wouldn't spend too much time nor money on it. I think you have done your very best but at some point, accept that nature (salt water and sand) always wins. Just my thoughts, Steve