3rd time lucky!

G'day raiders,

Just a quick report! I've been trying alot of different fishing lately, (rock,trout,beach etc.) so after deciding to take the boat out with impending rain, I thought I might throw around a couple of SP's.

I tried a few weeks ago with trout, then I was bored one arvo so off I went a threw them for 2hrs and on both occasions nothing!

So this time, I asked my local tackle shop, what to use and where. Well it obviously worked because on my second cast, bang I'm on! And was a pretty good fight!

post-24974-0-67772200-1372311525_thumb.jpg

post-24974-0-40710000-1372311563_thumb.jpg

Nice little sambo @45cm. Was using 6lb line and sorry but can't tell you what jig head or type of sp as I don't know! Lol.

I think I really need some mentoring with the SP's but not a bad start!

Thanks for reading!

Cheers scratchie!!!

Good work, that would've been fun for sure. Jig looks like 1/4 or even 3/8oz. What kind of retrieve were you using?

A winding one. Lol..... No it was a slow double flick. I was casting it into 3m and it drops off to 10m! Incoming tide.

Cheers scratchie!!!

Nice one scratchie! You'll get the hang of it soon. My guess is that it looks to be like a TT style jighead between 1/4 - 3/8 oz on a SP that looks like a Berkley Gulp fry 3" in a colour that looks like New Penny. If you still need some tips, I'll give you some pointers from what little I know when I come down but you'll probably master it before then!

Edited by nbdshroom

Thanks Pete! Had a look and yes it is a 1/4 jig head and Berkeley gulp 2 1/2 inch SP's. (you know your stuff)

Definitely need help with the plastics. I know how to cast, tie knots and a general idea of working them but the finesse is not there!

It was great not having smelling hands for about 1/2 an hr. but I did change tact and went to bait and caught about 10-12 bream very quickly.

Cheers scratchie!!!

nice salmon scratchie!, theres a few around at the moment.

well done on getting them on sp's too!

thanks mate, yeah I know but my first of the season. I normally catch them off the rocks or beach not on SP's in the bay! Was a surprise!

Cheers scratchie!!!

Nice report, Scratchie. I'm a bit like you. I've got all these lures, but most of my outings are solo and usually fishless when it comes to SP's. Just don't know which lures and weights are the right ones to use, so I guess. But, if I want a feed, I take some prawns or pillies (and a hand towel) and can manage one or two keepers.

Would love a raider to PM me with an invite to share their company and knowledge.

Cheers,

Nursie

Nice report, Scratchie. I'm a bit like you. I've got all these lures, but most of my outings are solo and usually fishless when it comes to SP's. Just don't know which lures and weights are the right ones to use, so I guess. But, if I want a feed, I take some prawns or pillies (and a hand towel) and can manage one or two keepers.

Would love a raider to PM me with an invite to share their company and knowledge.

Cheers,

Nursie

Hey nursie,

It's certainly a different way to fish and a bit more skill involved but I always seem to go back to bait too! But one thing that is helping me improve is as I'm soaking baits I use one rod with sp's!

Cheers scratchie!!!

Keep with it Scratchy, it is a very productive form of fishing once you get the hang of it. I love fishing with S/P's as much as I do with hardbody's for many different types of fish like bream, flattys, jews, trout, snapper, even the odd blackfish will occaisionally fall to a well presented plastic.

Bream like small plastics worked with small slow hops. Flatty's like most retrieves but a standard single hop worked a bit faster and sharper than plastics looking for bream will do the trick. Jews like sharp ripped double hops with big plastics and drummer/luderick will occasionally just hammer a small plastic just wafting in the wash with not a whole lot of action imparted. Trout most of the time go for a slow roll with a couple of pauses and snapper generally hit bigger plastics on the drop over reefy areas and you do not really need to impart much action at all.

Hope the info helps you guys get onto more S/P fish.

Keep with it Scratchy, it is a very productive form of fishing once you get the hang of it. I love fishing with S/P's as much as I do with hardbody's for many different types of fish like bream, flattys, jews, trout, snapper, even the odd blackfish will occaisionally fall to a well presented plastic.

Bream like small plastics worked with small slow hops. Flatty's like most retrieves but a standard single hop worked a bit faster and sharper than plastics looking for bream will do the trick. Jews like sharp ripped double hops with big plastics and drummer/luderick will occasionally just hammer a small plastic just wafting in the wash with not a whole lot of action imparted. Trout most of the time go for a slow roll with a couple of pauses and snapper generally hit bigger plastics on the drop over reefy areas and you do not really need to impart much action at all.

Hope the info helps you guys get onto more S/P fish.

Thanks for the info, luc! As I said I'll keep at it while I'm soaking some baits!

Cheers scratchie!!!

• 2 weeks later...