tinny repairs

lambo

i am in the process of repainting my tinny. during the strip process, i discovered there are some holes under the paint (old rivet holes etc) and wondering whats the best to repair them. i am thinking about silicone or aluminium epoxy putty, both of which i have. the holes are not have to be weight bearing or structural stuff. anyone had any experience with epoxy filler ?

pleased to hear

cheers

Guest Aussie007

ive used the JB Weld it has its place it has gotten me out of a really sticky situation twice, one was a corroded carby float pin mount i mixed up some JB Weld 50/50 and applied it than drilled the hole and sanded it to shape worked brilliantly, another time was on a motorbike crankcase there were holes in the crankcase and with the proper preparation to remove all the oil and crap on the aluminium crankcase i filled in the holes plus added some more for a wider layer it lasted a couple years when i sold the motor bike on

for good adhesion the area must be well cleaned and must not flex like on some tinny hulls when pounding waves or chop

u could get the holes TIG welded up if i had more practice on my TIG i'd offer to do it for free but i wouldnt want to chance it, also some tiny holes can grow big when being welded just a thought

Yeah just any 2 pack poly filler will be fine. Just rough the surface a bit first and clean it with acetone or wax and grease remover. I prefer car panel fillers over builders bog or plasti bond altho they may very well be just the same stuff.

Edited by GaryO