Pre tied rig storage

alluring

Gonna wag a day of uni and head out for a fish with some mates this week for the first time in a while.. Got a heavy new setup I'm keen to try and going to pre tie a few rigs as a backup. Just wondering how people store them? I was thinking maybe wrap each around a cork and set the hook in it? Or are there more efficient ways?

I'll have a couple of rigs for catching livies, a few to actually run the bait out on, and I'll tie a couple of paternosters up to run the bottom for snapper or grouper on my other rod if livies don't produce.

On that note as well, what knots would hold well for my live bait rig? I know the setup of the rig (balloon floating) but not sure what knots are strongest. Targeting land based kingies for the first time. 50lb braid and 60lb leader on the big one.

Cheers!!

Alluring

Gonna wag a day of uni and head out for a fish with some mates this week for the first time in a while.. Got a heavy new setup I'm keen to try and going to pre tie a few rigs as a backup. Just wondering how people store them? I was thinking maybe wrap each around a cork and set the hook in it? Or are there more efficient ways?

I'll have a couple of rigs for catching livies, a few to actually run the bait out on, and I'll tie a couple of paternosters up to run the bottom for snapper or grouper on my other rod if livies don't produce.

On that note as well, what knots would hold well for my live bait rig? I know the setup of the rig (balloon floating) but not sure what knots are strongest. Targeting land based kingies for the first time. 50lb braid and 60lb leader on the big one.

Cheers!!

Alluring

Hi mate,

2 methods of rig storage-

These will save you many hours of heart ache and fumbles when the fishing action heats up and you need a rig ASAP.

Make these beforehand so you have perfect knots and ready to use for your preferred application and fishing styles

Method 1. Get a kids pool noodle cut to 20 -30cm length with a knife cut some grooves in it loosley tie your rigs around the pool noodle following the 1cm grooves . Start with the swivel end first until you wrap it around finishing with your hook going in last and put the sharp ends into noodle so they are secure. So when u get fishing just pull out the hook and unwrap ready to tie your rig!

Note: wrap it in a cloth or plastic bag to keep the salt out and hooks away from your fingers when reaching into your tackle bag

Method 2. Make your rig and loop neatly and place in a glad zip lock bag of appropritae size label them eg." 6/0 hook with 40lb leader -snapper rig". A bit like the ones you get pre made from tackle stores. .......

Hope this helps.....

Tight lines!, Shakeel

Method 2. Make your rig and loop neatly and place in a glad zip lock bag of appropritae size label them eg." 6/0 hook with 40lb leader -snapper rig". A bit like the ones you get pre made from tackle stores. .......

Hope this helps.....

Tight lines!, Shakeel

Thanks Shakee you saved me typing it myself :-)

This is what I do I make about 20 at a time, they can get sprayed with salt water in the back of the boat & left for weeks they dont get rusty.

Brett

Last cast has covered the two most common options , using a noodle for heavy rigs & plastic bags for lighter rigs.

A few additional comments , for heavy rigs or ones with luers tackle shops sell plastic rings like the yellow ones in this photo.

post-731-0-17489400-1373667875_thumb.jpg

As I mainly fish light , the majority of my rigs are in plastic bags then in a container. This one can store up to 20 packets , easy to identify , access & take up a minium of space.

post-731-0-66608200-1373667764_thumb.jpg

Geoff

Zip lock bags definitely the go! You can label them, lb line, size hook, what rig etc! Make for easy use and changing. And you then have somewhere to put your unwanted line until you get home.

Cheers scratchie!!!

G'day

Another tip, if using pool noodles DO NOT write on the noodle with a permanent marker unless you like throwing out rigs. The ink marks fishing line after a while.

Cheers Leo

thanks for the tips guys. I ended up using corks for my baitfish rigs, it worked really with the multiple hooks cause I set them around the top, although I'll use the zip locks for my paternosters! And any suggestions for strong knots for my 60lb leader which I'll run my livies out on?

Best knot for 60lb...I still use uni but make sure d line is wet when tightening d knot...or invest on a crimping tools. ..make sure u melt d end of d line when crimping as added security...hope this helps...goodluck

Zip locks for sure, work great when storing rigs for the beach, sometimes a small piece of sponge or noodle on the point of the hook if you can bothered stuffing around with it. Always use a uni knot with most of my rigs now, especially anything over 20lb... not had a problem on some reasonable sharkies using 60lb and 100lb mono with a uni knot off the beach.