2001 Ally Craft 4.55 Bay Raider ?

smoobear

Hi guys,

I am looking at finally getting my first boat. I have been looking at a 2001 Ally Craft 4.55 Bay Raider with a 2011 50hp Merc 4 Stroke . I am mainly after a boat that I can use on the estuaries, inshore reefs and up on the fresh water lakes in the Snowy Mountains.

What are your thoughts on this type of boat. Has anyone heard anything good/bad/ugly about this boat?

Thanks in anticipation

Joel

Hi Joel

I have a Burmuda 4.65 , However its really a Allycraft with burmuda stickers. Great boat. never been an issue, The Merc would be my only concern, never liked the "black anchore" heard too many bad things over the years.

The Merc has about 50 hours on it. The boat, engine and extras is about 13k.

I have a budget of 15k, so any other options that would suit my fishing styles would be appreciated as well.

Thanks

Joel

if the price is right they are a good boat the only thing i have seen with them is the floor is a bit to thin but not a big fix to put in a new ply floor as for the merc you will be fine if all services and filters have been done as per schedule .you will have everything you ask for what you want to do,and the merc 4strokes are fantastic on fuel if you are propped right and donk at correct height all will be good,let us know how you go and if you want to speak to a owner of a alley 4.55 pm me and a guy in my fishing club has one and he will give you the heads up on them cheers dunc 333.

Hi guys, an update after speaking to the dealer.

He is going to change the 60hp 4 stoke mercury and put on a 50hp 2 stroke mercury (roughly 20 hours use). What is the main difference between the two? Will it make much of a difference on a boat this size?

Also, I got some pics sent to me. There appears to be some rust under the paint on the gunwales. Is this a major isssue and how hard is it to fix?

Thanks for all your help

Joel

Hi mate,

I had a bermuda 4.1, which was an allycraft. Great second boat for me. Was great, loved it. Had a 3 cylinder 2 stroke Mariner, same as Mercury. Awesome engine. I have had 3 Mercury's and never had a problem.

As for the engines you have a choice of, if it was me I would go the 4 stroke. All my motors have been two stroke and I am over the noise :P But they do offer more torque and less weight. 4 stroke should be more fuel efficient.

Hi, comapring an old fashion carby 2-Stroke to a modern 4-Stroke is a waste of time and all modern clean engines are quiet and clean and one brand offers performance as well. Why are they changing the engine because the carby will offer more performance, especially out of the hole and is a simplier engine which is less prone to fuel issue problems but if you do a lot of trolling, the 4-Stroke will be nicer and use less fuel so why not go for a run with the current engine and see if the performance is good enough for you-if not swap it out to the 50HP Merc, which for old tech carby engines is a very nice engine and at cruising speeds the fuel burn vs this 50HP and the 60HP will not be that different-it is at low RPMS where the old fashion carby engines are at their most inefficient and are not as quiet as any clean engine.

Cheers,

Huey.