Late TCD Report

Managed to get away for a day at TCD a couple of weeks back. Would have been a beautiful sunny day if it wasn't for the freezing gale force winds coming from the west. Decided to circumnavigate the whole dam for the first time (which turned out to be quite a nice 7hr walk) and check out as much of the shoreline as possible. Had to fish spoons and celtas most of the way around because of the strong head or cross winds. Got my one and only hit of the day in a bay on the south west corner of the dam. Took a good 5 minutes to land on 3lb fluoro, especially without the aid of a net. Turned out to be a good sized rainbow that was fat and full of roe. Was revived and returned to fight another day, after a few pics of course. Did come across a couple of other fishos on the western shore who had bagged out on some even bigger fish, but otherwise a nice quiet day out.

Fish measured 55cm (didn't have a scale to weight her but according to the DPI website, would have weighed c.2.3kg).

Lure was a #2 Celta in Brown Trout pattern.

Aidan

post-19022-0-00276700-1374026637_thumb.jpgpost-19022-0-40810800-1374026806_thumb.jpg

Awesome stuff, I wanna get out to this place and give it a shot. No idea what kind of lures to use or colours work but Ive got a mixed bag of spinners and those other weird looking things with the curly rubber things.

That is a lovely hen, she is in really good shape. Thommo's is very hit and miss at the moment but with fish like this in there who can resist giving it a shot. I daresay I will be heading up there soon and will be looking for her siblings. Also you did well to bank her on 3lb, it would have been a hell of a challenge.. Were you using 3lb all the way through or did you use a different leader size? Just curious.

Luc.

P.S

I don't think DPI figures on fish length/weight really count for thommo's... The fish in there seem much fatter on a consistent basis more than any other waterway. The same length trout at Jindabyne or Eucumbene are much thinner than fish at TCD. If DPI say 2.3kg I would probably guestimate a 2.7 or 2.8kg from TCD.

Edited by Trout Stalker