Secho

Had a last minute idea to jump on a plane with mates Cammo and Daz to chase some NZ Kingies.. with high expectations in unfamiliar territories we weren't quite sure how things would end up.

We started out from Tairua bar then steamed up the coast to Whitianga in the Coromandel Peninsula where we collected livies - the yakka's there are enormous (some as big as rat kings) and after an hour or so the tanks had about 40 or more ready to go.

After taking a look at the number of livies in the tanks we gave each other the quiet nod - "that's a lot of livies - got a good feeling about this".

We then ran straight out about 18 miles to the grounds where things went absolutely nuts.

From the very first drop of the day until the last drop of the day we hit non stop single, double and triple hook ups... rods bent to the point you'd think they'd snap... fish stripping at 12kg drag and heading for the reef one after the other - we were amazed to say the least.

We barely got a chance to damage the frosties in the esky - we were hooked up all day long - we stopped counting after the first 15 or 20 releases - every single one of them around that meter long and 15 to 20kg mark.

Cracker trip, good crew, sensational accommodation and not too far from home!

Cheers

Marty

post-10991-0-87469100-1374105241_thumb.jpgpost-10991-0-44360700-1374105248_thumb.jpg

post-10991-0-39931700-1374105253_thumb.jpgpost-10991-0-69380400-1374105259_thumb.jpg

Awesome! whats the best season for them?

The skipper told us that they catch them all year round - I asked him what his best and worst ever days were and if he had ever gone zeros..

His worst ever day fishing for kingies in that area was 4 fish (all over 1m) and his best was 104 - just crazy stuff.. I don't doubt what he said.. seemed a very genuine guy.

My only other recommendation would be to make sure you book a few extra days to accommodate any bad weather.. we ducked over for two days fishing and got blown out for one.. when we flew out there was four days to come all below 3 knots of wind... we were disappointed we couldn't stay longer.

As for weather.. It was windy and 8 degrees one day and sunny / 13 degrees the next.. water was about 13.5 to 14 off memory.

I fished NZ a few years ago.

Fished out of the Coromandel, caught heaps of big Kings and snapper, all on plastics.

NZ is a beautiful place, friendly people and it seems that just about everyone fishes or hunts or both. Heaven on a stick!

Cheers

Paikea

Edited by me. Be mindful of site rules please.

Jewhunter.