Bad news for bluefin fisherman apparently!

mrbroadbill

Hey raiders I heard sum bad news earlier this Arvo regarding the blue fin off Sydney . Some guy apparently landed a 130 barrel of heatens the fish was sold to Japan for for $100 a kilo . But here is where the sad story starts apparently I super trawler got a whiff of these capture and went out wide and landed tonnes and tonnes of bluefin east of heatens and they caught that many that they could only sell the fish for $8 a kilo . Can anyone confirm this or has have u guys heard anything regarding this report . Hope these bastards haven't wiped our bluefin population out

It's not un common for the longliners to fish there but super trawler I doubt very much. As for the price of the fish that's pretty normal. Supply and demand...... There is that much bluefin about the price drops like a brides knickers on the wedding night! I wouldn't be too concerned most of what you hear is Chinese whispers, most boats wouldn't reach the waters 200 km off shore

From all reports there has been a long liner working that area for weeks.

The rec fishos have been following it to find the fish.

We may not like it but it is legal so there's not much we can do about it.

Cheers,

Grant.

Supposedly the longliner quotas are quite small compared to the volume of fish. The fact the fish are such a long way out also reduces the potential catch especially when your throw weather into the equation. As long as people that do find them stick to the rules and fish accordingly we will hopefully have many short seasons to come.

I wouldn't start to worry.. compared to 10 years ago when there were 3 x the amount of longliners working the east coast. The longline fisherman read these sites to & monitor the radio.. It was only a few years back when the guys off JB were having a tournement & long liners swooped in when they heard the rec fishos talking on the radio about how well they were doing. They are still getting bluefin wide off Eden. Hopefully you guys will see some fish in the colder water that has pushed up.

Cheers

Damo