Harbour and beyond in a tinny

Linc

Hi Raiders,

Being new to Sydney I’ve got no idea about boating around the harbor and beyond. I’m located close to the parra river so when my boat arrives from down in Melbourne I’m planning to launch in the river and head out into the harbor.

Question is, how rough is it outside the harbor? Am I safe (on a good day) in my 4.3M Quintrex Escape (Tinny)? I always pick my days before launching and hate boating in strong wind so that shouldn’t be a problem, but are the heads dangerous? Is there anything I need to watch out for or am I mad in even thinking of heading out there in anything under 5 meters?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Linc

Hi Linc, mate I've got a little 3.19m tinnie which I regularly take outside of the heads but not more than a kilometre or so off the cliffs. It's pretty easy going though you have to pick your days. If its windy or the swell is up I stick in harbour. You just have to be smart about it, check the weather and no matter what practice safe boating.

That size boat is fine for close in offshore fishing. However the Heads and even inside the Heads with swell is dangerous and you have to pick your days. Like any coastal fishing check a reliable weather site for swell and wind before even thinking about going near open water. You get breaking waves even inside the Harbour during big swells. Especially around Dobroyd.

Don't forget the safety equipment needed if you move into Open Water areas ( Includes Compass, flares, Maps, V-sheet, water and others).

If I remember correctly, the area around the heads, with waves over 0.5 m, is considered Open water and requires the safety equipment.

Also check the direction of the wind: If going out through the heads with the wind in your back, going out will be much smoother then coming back.

And make sure you have enough fuel.

Thanks for the tips guys, I didn't even think about the safety equipment differences between Vic and NSW, I've got the flairs and requirements for Vic but no compass or V-sheet. Will look into the marine website for all the requirements before heading out.

What is a safe swell? My old man lives in Portland on the West coast of Vic and we won't head out there in anything over 1.5M swell as it just gets uncomfortable, but we don't have to worry about any heads there, and coming from melbourne (port phillip Bay) I've never had to worry about swell, only chop from wind.

Also, if you go outside the heads in any boat under 4.8m, everyone on the boat needs to be wearing a life jacket.

Thanks Don,

This infers that inside the harbour adults don't need a life jacket even if the boat is moving? This is great news as in Vic we need a life jacket at all times in boats under 4.8M while moving.

Hi linc,

The size of your boat is fine, if as suggested you pick your days and have the right equipment. Also, what size is the motor? It's alot better to have some toe behind you in case the weather does change. Southerly s are a bastard in the harbour!

Cheers scratchie!!!

Hi linc,

The size of your boat is fine, if as suggested you pick your days and have the right equipment. Also, what size is the motor? It's alot better to have some toe behind you in case the weather does change. Southerly s are a bastard in the harbour!

Cheers scratchie!!!

It's only got 30 HP on it and does a bit over 20 knots with a couple of passengers.

I'll keep a note on avoiding southerlies, what are the best wind directions to pick?

It's only got 30 HP on it and does a bit over 20 knots with a couple of passengers.

I'll keep a note on avoiding southerlies, what are the best wind directions to pick?

No wind on the harbour is best. In middle harbour, if the tide is running out, the swell easterly and the wind southerly, it ends up like a washing machine. N/e or n/w ok depending on the areas you fish. But like everyone has said, pick your days until your familiar with the area. Safe boating the best!

Cheers scratchie!!!