Trout Magnet

covanova

I bought some lures called "trout magnet" when I was in the states for my brother who is into lures for trout.

He was fishing the cowmung last year and caught a trout on his first cast with one. They're incredibly light though, almost light enough for a fly rod.

Has anyone else used them?

Are they the soft plastic put out by Lelands Lures in the States? I have seen them but never used them, they look ok but I would have thought that the current crop of soft plastics and jig heads would work just as well?

Cheers

Windy

yep, that's the one. We got the red and white version. Very light. The yanks seem to rave about them.

We're waiting for a new shipment to come over shortly. I don't know how they'd go in places like TCD as it'd be tough to get any distance from the bank.

Below is a picture of what he caught and the location.

post-553-1123640974_thumb.jpg

post-553-1123641002_thumb.jpg

We're waiting for a new shipment to come over shortly. I don't know how they'd go in places like TCD as it'd be tough to get any distance from the bank.

61545[/snapback]

I think they are designed specifically for river/stream usage, at least thats what the manufacturer (Lelands Lures) implies. The Jig Head was designed to sink horizontally with the stream/river flow so I cant see them being any more effective in Lake systems than a regular JigHead Combo. But hey, nothing ventured, nothing gained :1clap: Certainly worth having a look at when fishing some of our Trout Streams though :thumbup:

Cheers

Windy

Hi guys; the actual shape of the jighead on the trout magnets is called a "shad dart" style head (Swoff this is what I was gibbering on about 6 months or so ago!!) in the US. Hard to see in the pic but the head is basically a cone shape, with the wider end _ the front of the jig head _ having a face cut at an angle. Not to be confused with what we here in Oz now seem to call a darter head. The shad dart head is from a strange little fishery on the Yankee east coast, where they fish for a species called a shad, funnily enough :biggrin2: , which only run in small rivers for a few months a year. They look a bit like a Tommy Rough and grow to a kilo or two, with big herring-like scales. The shad fishers cast out the small shad darts with either plastic or bucktails in the little rivers running through marshland and let em sink then staircase retrieve. The shape of the head is supposedly meant for places with decent current as the shape forces the head to skew to the side with each lift of the rod. The shads apparently get turned on by the skewing to the left or right on the retrieve.

The trout magnet is a gold chromed version of these shad dart heads. Actually the head might actually be brass or something similar to lighten the weight rather than chromed lead. Only seen very very light heads in trout magnets in Yankee mags _ 1/64th/1/32nd and some a touch heavier. Made for shallow streams and creeks and small rivers as they don't cast too far, as far as I know.

Now when is an Aussie manufacturer/importer gonna make/source some chromed (gold chrome and silver chrome please) jigheads in different shapes for or Oz-style fishing. I want some in minnow shape heads for sambos kings trevs etc.

Cheers Bombie