5 lb braid

jawno

Just hoping to pick some brains.

Just bought and wound some 5 lb braid onto my second spool for my Abu garcia sx20. The first spool has some &&*&*& special 15lb braid which already seems to be fraying and fading. the 5 lb braid is much better quality. Wont be cheaping out again next time.

my question is, what are the limitations of the 5lb braid?

Thanks,

Edited by jawno

Just hoping to pick some brains.

Just bought and wound some 5 lb braid onto my second spool for my Abu garcia sx20. The first spool has some &&*&*& special 15lb braid which already seems to be fraying and fading. the 5 lb braid is much better quality. Wont be cheaping out again next time.

my question is, what are the limitations of the 5lb braid?

Thanks,

What exactly do you mean limitations?

i guess what im asking is can i still use the 5lb for squiding and trolling?

Main reason i got the 5lb is because people keep telling me ill get more hits on lighter gear but i still have the thought in my head that im going to lose more fish because its so light?

If your fishing lures, i think leader size plays a bigger part than braid size. That is ofcourse if you are using a leader.

In terms of limitations due to its breaking strain, your going to have alot more fun taking on fish on lighter gear. Dont think of it as a limitation, rather an added fun factor lol

Nothing Wrong with using 5lb for flattys, salmon, rat kings, soapie Jew, bonnies etc I even kno a few that hooked a few marlin on 6lb braid at swr this year. Comes down to leaders n knots how far you can push light braid, n how much patience u have as longer fights on bigger fish.

5 lb braid and 5 lb fluro is sweet. Used it last night. Plastics go heaps far. Nailed an esturay perch with a 2.5" grub. Did gey snagged and sure enough the fkuro snapped at my uni knot. Might have to do a few more loops